[BHS Etree] ADMIN - Beyond Spirit Week

BHS etree bhs at lists.lmi.net
Tue Nov 1 18:55:27 PDT 2011

Dear BHS Families:

Let me first convey my appreciation to the vast majority of our students and
thank them for what was a very positive and energized Spirit Week. I should
also thank all of the families who made time to have conversations with
their kids about expectations. A very, very small percentage of students
made some bad decisions, but on the whole our immense swarm of red and gold
had a good time and we enjoyed a safe rally.

The day did however provide further proof that our conversations with our
kids about choices and decisions should continue.

Two incidents occurring on or around the campus have caused us some concern
over students taking baked goods that appear to have been laced with illicit
substances. Two individuals became quite ill, and while both students in
question are back to full health and back in school, one was in fact
hospitalized.

These matters are still under investigation by Berkeley High School
administrators, and we have turned over samples of what we believe are the
goods in question to the Berkeley Police Department.

While we will always be proactive in trying to deter and prevent the
presence of illicit and controlled substances on or around our campus, it is
our shared responsibility to reiterate to kids the immense risks that go
along with ingesting illicit substances. These risks are exponentially
greater when you do not know the person providing the goods or cannot be
certain about what those goods contain.

At this time our information does not lead us to believe that this is a
widespread concern, but comparable goods with unpredictable levels of
intensity are most likely out in the community and our kids should be
cautioned factually and directly.

To limit these conversations and discussions with our kids to Spirit Week
would be naïve and ineffective on our part. Thanks again for being our
partners, and we look forward to working together to keep all of our kids
healthy, safe, and creatively and intellectually engaged.

Pasquale Scuderi

Principal

Berkeley High School

Diane Douglas, Marguerite Fa-Kaji and Pat Anderson are the parent-volunteer
<mailto:bhs-owner at lmi.net> bhs-owner at lmi.net.

BHS etree archives:  <http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/>
http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/; BHS PTSA website:
<http://www.bhs.berkeleypta.org/> http://www.bhs.berkeleypta.org/. To