[BHS Etree] ADMIN - Safety Committee Mandatory Meeting for new members, Tues. 9/13

BHS etree bhs at lists.lmi.net
Mon Sep 12 20:00:50 PDT 2011

PLEASE do not reply to this email, contact Margit Roos-Collins,
margitrooscollins at comcast.net

Interested in joining the BHS Safety Committee?

The Safety Committee at Berkeley High is recruiting new members to join us
for next year.  If you'd like to join or consider joining the committee,
you must attend the mandatory orientation session at 4:30 pm in H104 on
Tuesday, September 13.  At the orientation you will hear in more detail
about the work that we do and be able to ask your questions. Then, if you
decide to join the 2011-2012 Safety Committee, plan to attend our first
meeting on Tuesday, September 20, at 4:30.  We meet in the late afternoon on
the 1st and 3rd Tuesdays of the month at 4:30 in H104 (ground floor of the H
building in the On Campus Intervention office).

The Safety Committee's task is to review information about the school in
areas that affect student safety and well-being, such as disaster
preparedness, anti-bullying and anti-weapons efforts, classroom discipline,
landscaping and maintenance, and alcohol and drug use.  Based on that
information, the committee generates goals and strategies to improve the
school in the committee's focus areas and it also oversees implementation of
the goals and strategies generated by the prior year's committee.  The
committee's work is compiled with the rest of the school's Safety Plan,
which is submitted annually to the School Site Council for review and
approval and then goes to the School Board.

If you've been looking for the place where you can make a difference in how
the school handles any of these aspects of student life, the Safety
Committee is it.

At the BHS PTSA website, under the Safety Committee tab on the left margin,
you can find the minutes from the 2010-2011 school year, the school's Safety
Plan for 2011-2012, the committee's bylaws, and the names and email
addresses of the 2010-2011 members.  We encourage you to contact us with any
questions you may have about joining or the work that we do.

Teachers, students, parents, administrators, and other certificated and
classified staff all serve critical roles on the committee and
representatives of each group are very welcome.  The more fully the
committee reflects the community it serves, the more useful the range of
experiences it can bring to bear on solving problems. Through subcommittee
work, members have the opportunity to focus their energies on the issues of
greatest concern to them as individuals and to make the most immediate
difference.

If you choose not to join or are not free to attend most meetings but have
an interest in these subjects, remember that everyone is always welcome to
observe meetings and speak during the public comment portion of each
meeting.

Diane Douglas, Marguerite Fa-Kaji and Pat Anderson are the parent-volunteer
<mailto:bhs-owner at lmi.net> bhs-owner at lmi.net.

BHS etree archives:  <http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/>
http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/; BHS PTSA website:
<http://www.bhs.berkeleypta.org/> http://www.bhs.berkeleypta.org/. To