[BHS Etree] ATHLETICS - Year-end BHS Sports Recap

BHS etree bhs at lists.lmi.net
Fri May 27 17:10:03 PDT 2011

PLEASE do not reply to this email, contact Bill Gaebler, Athletic
Director, wgaebler at berkeley.k12.ca.us

Berkeley High School's athletic year is finishing up, with amazing results
from all of our teams.  Here is a short re-cap of our achievements:

●        Of our 28 teams, 26 reached post season, with Boy's crew "4's"
reaching all the way to the National Schoolboy Regatta, and Girl's
Basketball finishing second at the State Championships.

●        Of our 26 CIF recognized teams, 24 made at least the first round
of NCS playoffs.

●        Over 1,700 students (50%) tried out for at least one sport
during the school year.

●        Over 1,000 students played sports, stayed eligible, and finished
out their seasons with their teams.

●        Approximately 100 athletes played two varsity sports this year

●        Approximately 6 athletes played three varsity sports this year.

●        400 students (40%) held a 3.5 GPA (unweighted) during their
season.  Over 50% maintained a 3.0 GPA during their season.

●        At least eight teams (final count is not yet in) earned a
Scholastic Achievement Team pennant from NCS, given to only the top three
cumulative team GPA's in the section for each sport, in each division.
There are 168 teams in the section.

●        Eight teams (Badminton, Girl's Basketball, Boy's Lacrosse, Boy's
Soccer, Girl's Soccer, Boy's Tennis, Girl's Tennis, and Girl's Volleyball)
were ACCAL Champions.

●        Eight teams finished second in the ACCAL.

●        Three football athletes received scholarships to college.

●        Three girls’ basketball athletes received scholarships to
college.

The Berkeley High School athletic department is indebted to the following
individuals and groups--this would not be possible without them:

BUSD, lead by Supt. Bill Huyett:

Berkeley High School Administration and staff, lead by Principal Pasquale
Scuderi, and including vice principal over Athletics, Amy Frey;

BHS facilities staff and safety officers;

Berkeley Athletic Fund;

Berkeley High Development Group;

BSEP;

Berkeley High Live!;

Berkeley High Golf Tournament Committee; and

all the volunteers, parents, coaches, and the athletes!

Berkeley High School is very proud of its athletes and their achievements.

Go Jackets!

Bill Gaebler,

Athletic Director, Berkeley High School

Diane Douglas, Marguerite Fa-Kaji and Pat Anderson are the
parent-volunteer facilitators of the etree; please direct any questions to
them at  <mailto:bhs-owner at lmi.net> bhs-owner at lmi.net.

BHS etree archives:  <http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/>
http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/; BHS PTSA website:
<http://www.bhs.berkeleypta.org/> http://www.bhs.berkeleypta.org/. To