[BHS Etree] BULLETIN - Student Daily Bulletin, April 14 (Thurs.)

BHS etree bhs at lists.lmi.net
Wed Apr 13 21:52:22 PDT 2011

PLEASE do not reply to this email. All information is collected and prepared
for the bulletin by Belinda McDaniel at the BHS front desk. No additional
information or details are available from the etree.

STUDENT DAILY BULLETIN

Thursday, April 14,  2011

SAT word of the day:  acrimony (noun) - sharpness or bitterness of speech or
temper

ADMINISTRATION

1. Biotech Academy is still looking for interested students for the 2011
-2012 school year.  Come to G304 or G305 anytime to get info and an
application.

2. Student elections are here!  Want to be the next president, chief of
social activities commissioner of multicultural affairs, lead artist,
resident DJ, school site council rep or any of 133, yes 133 jobs available?
Come to the leadership office for more info or to pick up an application.
Student leadership needs you!!  Apply today!

3. Math Placement Tests: ALL INCOMING 9th GRADE STUDENTS -- send them up to
the library to check in with me and Mike Weitz.  All incoming 9th graders
will be taking the 9th grade placement test and they MAY sit for one of the
Honors tests (Honors Geometry OR Honors Algebra 2) if interested.  If
they're taking only the 9th grade placement test, they should be done by 5.
Otherwise, they'll be done around 5:45.

ANY non-incoming 9th graders interested in taking Honors Geometry, Honors
Algebra 2, Honors Math Analysis will come to the 3rd floor of the H-building
(check in with Nakia Baird).  These tests should be done by 5:00.

4. Good News AC Seniors: The first Academic Choice Commencement Ceremony
will be held this year. This program will include all AC seniors, whether
they are graduating in June or at a later date.  Mark your calendar: the
date of the program is Saturday, June 11, in the afternoon. All senior AC
students will receive a sash at the ceremony. Would you like to take part in
planning it or nominate speakers for the event? If yes, then come to the
first AC Commencement meeting on Wednesday, April 13, at lunch time in Room
C-310 which is Mr. Angell's classroom.

5. Celebrate National Library Week!  Come to the library to check out one of
our new books or choose from our collection of urban drama, graphic novels,
award-winning fiction or absorbing nonfiction.  Be sure to pick your
favorite from our choice of special gifts from our beloved and helpful
teacher librarians!

6. BART tickets are here for April.  Please pick-up your tickets by April
19th.  The next BART ticket orders will be taken on April 20th and 21st at
lunchtime only in room D224.  Cash only-no checks.

7. OCI will be having a "Brainstorming Session" this FRIDAY at LUNCH to
gather youth input regarding the creation of peace promotion posters to be
placed on our campus. There is limited space for 10 students, so interested
parties must sign up by Thursday in order to attend. Pizza and juice will be
provided.  Location will be announced the day of our session. See Mr. Luu in
H104 if you'd like to come!

*8. Tomorrow (Friday) is Day of Silence, a National Youth Movement bringing
attention to homophobic bullying, name calling and harassment.  You can
participate in the Day of Silence by being silent this Friday. Also, you can
break the silence with the GSA on the Senior Steps after school with a
discussion and potluck.  Always be mindful of what you say: comments like
"That's so gay" can be very hurtful to many people.

CLUBS

 Are you a leader?  Do you want to help humanity all over the world?  Do you
want to be part of an international network?  Join International Action
Interact club!  There will be a meeting Wednesday, April 13th at the YMCA
PG&E Teen Center. The meeting will start at 4pm after school.  Come for a
quick informational and see about our many leadership opportunities.

SPORTS

*Anyone interested in playing Basketball next year: there will be open gym
for boys starting Monday April 18, 2011.  Every Monday and Wednesday from
4-6pm in the gym.  Hope to see you there.  Coach Neill.

SENIORS

1.  Senior Prom tickets will go on sale on the Senior steps at lunch and
afterschool.  Tickets will be $75 from March 22 to April 22nd!  The theme of
Senior Prom is Oasis Nights at the SF Galleria on May 14th.  Make sure you
get your ticket as soon as possible.

 2.  Mandatory Parent Meeting for Chicano/Latino Graduation on April 20th
from 6-7 pm in the Library.

JUNIORS

Hey Juniors, "Bright lights, Big Cities", Junior Prom is this Saturday,
tickets this week are $70.  Sales are now open to Sophomores, Juniors, and
Seniors.  You can purchase tickets.  Sorry Freshmen, but we want to keep it
special for the future. Applications for Junior Prom Royalty are available
in the leadership office (D148).  If you want to be voted Prom Prince or
Princess, pick up and turn in applications by Friday.

 EVENTS

This Saturday, from 12 to 5pm, the Berkeley Bay Festival will be taking
place of Shorebird Park along Berkeley's beautiful waterfront.  There will
be music and entertainment and FREE Sail Boat and Dragon Boat rides.
Environmental groups will also be there so this is a good chance to find
volunteer opportunities for upcoming Earth Day.  Please come out!  12-5pm at
the Shorebird Park.