[BHS Etree] ADMIN - Testing, an explanation

BHS etree bhs at lists.lmi.net
Sat Apr 9 13:51:58 PDT 2011

PLEASE do not reply to this email, contact Janet Huseby jhuseby at pacbell.net

In two weeks, Berkeley High will go into serious testing mode first
administering the California STAR test to all 9-th 11th grade students and
then offering the International Baccalaureate (IB) and Advanced Placement
(AP) test to well over a 1,000 BHS students.  This effort will not be
possible without volunteer help.  Below I will first explain about the tests
and then ask for assistance!

1. The STAR test.

The STAR test is the  Standardized California exam mandated for all 9th-11th
grade students. The test will be administered Tuesday, April 26th  through
Friday, April 29th. All 9th, 10th, and 11th grade students will report to
their 2nd period classes at 8:30 a.m. with the exception of Thursday.  ON
Thursday 10th grade Life Science test will start at 8:30; all other science
tests will begin at 10:35. The test will be in the morning. There will be
regular classes in the afternoon. Seniors have the mornings off and will
report to regular class after lunch. The information garnered from the test
is used not only internally at Berkeley High to assess each student's
progress but to assess our curriculum and teaching. In addition, the numbers
generated are used to create the API, which is a useful, and much used
method of comparing and rating California high schools. We have not been
able to generate an API for many years because we have had fewer than 95
percent of our students take the exam--though attendance is going up and we
were VERY close last year.  Students who are absent during the STAR test
testing window will be given make-up tests.

During the testing days Tuesday-Friday, we will need three or four parents
in the early morning (from 8 to 9) to pass out the tests, deliver extra test
sheets-all the extra jobs. If you can help, please let Janet Huseby know at
jhuseby at pacbell.net

2. Advanced Placement and International Baccalaureate

The IB and AP tests run from Tuesday, May 3 to Monday, May 23 (which is a
school holiday).  We are offering 1,683 individual AP tests and hundreds (I
do not have the count) of individual IB tests.  These tests are college
level and are generated by an outside organization.  In order to qualify for
credit, they must be administered properly and that includes having a
sufficient number of proctors. In order to facilitate what is a challenge,
we are asking all parents or guardians of a child taking either an AP or an
IB test to please volunteer to proctor in either an AP or IB test other than
one their own child is taking.  In the past the AP exams have been longer,
but this year, in order to expedite the testing process, all students will
be asked to come after school on a designated day to pre-fill their exam
booklet. This will save time at the front of each exam.

Below is the complete AP and IB test exam schedule with the number of
volunteers we will be needing.  The commitment is for all morning or all
afternoon. (roughly 7:45 to noon and 11:45 to 4;  I will be advertising more
specific times as I receive them).  Finally, the number of proctors in the
APs might increase as I receive information on the number of extended time
students.  If a parent ends up with an extended time slot, please note, only
the students' time is extended, the proctor will be relieved at the end of
the morning session or at the end of the regular test in the afternoon.
Proctoring, as those who have done it can attest, is not difficult.  It is a
matter of passing out tests, collecting tests, issuing bathroom passes, etc.
Students are committed and focused.

Please let me know what and times and tests you can proctor by contacting me
at jhuseby at pacbell.net

Offering these demanding classes to our students is a community effort.
Without you we could not do it. Thank you one and all for volunteering!

Monday, May 2

AM AP Chemistry (4 proctors needed)

AM AP Environmental Science (4 proctors needed)

PM AP Psychology

Tuesday, May 3

AM AP Computer Science (1 proctor needed)

AM AP Spanish Language (5 proctors needed)

AM IB English HL Paper 1 and English SL paper 1 (5 proctors needed)

PM AP Art History (1 proctor needed)

Wednesday, May 4

AM AP Calculus AB and AP Calculus BC (4 proctors needed)

PM AP Chinese Language and Culture (1 proctor needed)

PM IB Math HL Paper 1 and IB Math SL Paper 1 and IB Math Studies Paper 1 (3
proctors needed)

Thursday, May 5

AM IB Math HL Paper 2 and IB Math SL Paper 2 and Math Studies Paper 2 (3
proctors needed)

AM AP English Composition and Literature (4 proctors needed)

PM AP Latin (1 proctor needed)

PM Music SL Paper 1 (no proctors needed)

Friday, May 6

AM AP US History (5 proctors needed)

AM AP Studio Art (1 proctor needed)

Monday, May 9

AM AP Biology ((3 proctors needed)

AM AP Music Theory (1 proctor needed)

AM IB Math HL Paper 3 (1 proctor needed)

PM IB Chemistry SL Paper 1 and 2 (1 proctor needed)

PM AP Physics (2 proctors needed)

Tuesday, May 10

AM IB Chemistry SL Paper 3 (1 proctor needed)

AM AP US Government (4 proctors needed)

PM AP French Language (1 proctor needed)

PM IB English HL and English SL Paper 2 (5 proctors needed)

Wednesday, May 11

AM AP English Language and Composition (4 proctors needed)

PM AP Statistics (2 proctors needed)

PM IB Physics HL Papers 1 and 2 (1 proctor needed)

Thursday, May 12

AM IB Physics HL Paper 3 (1 proctor needed)

AM AP Macroeconomics (5 proctors needed)

AM AP World History (1 proctor needed)

PM IB History HL and SL papers 1 and 2 (5 proctors needed)

Friday, May 13

AM IB History HL paper 3 (5 proctors needed)

AM AP Spanish Literature (1 proctor needed)

PM IB Mandarin SL and Kiswahili SL papers 1 and 2 (1 proctor needed)

Monday, May 16

PM IB Economics SL Paper 1 (3 proctors needed)

PM IB Latin HL and SL  paper 1 (1 proctor needed)

Tuesday, May 17

AM IB Economics SL Paper 2 (3 proctors needed)

AM IB Latin HL and SL paper 2 (1 proctor needed)

Wednesday, May 18

AM IB Spanish B HL and SL Papers 1 and 2 (3 proctors needed)

PM IB Biology SL papers 1 and 2 (3 proctors needed)

Thursday, May 19

AM IB Biology SL paper 3 (no proctors needed)

Friday, May 20

PM IB German SL and HL papers 1 and 2 (no proctors needed)

Monday, May 23 (school holiday)

AM French B HL and SL papers 1 and 2 (1 proctor needed)

Janet Huseby

BHS Volunteer Coordinator

jhuseby at pacbell.net

Diane Douglas, Marguerite Fa-Kaji and Pat Anderson are the parent-volunteer
<mailto:bhs-owner at lmi.net> bhs-owner at lmi.net.

BHS etree archives:  <http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/>
http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/; BHS PTSA website:
<http://www.bhs.berkeleypta.org/> http://www.bhs.berkeleypta.org/. To