[BHS Etree] INCOMING FAMILIES - Information and Updates

BHS etree bhs at lists.lmi.net
Sun Mar 6 13:12:48 PST 2011

Do not reply to this email, contact Janet Huseby, jhuseby at pacbell.net

1. King, Longfellow, and Willard students:  A BHS administrator and
counselor are going to to each middle school site to meet with parents for a
short presentation and to answer questions from 6 to 7 p.m. in the middle
school libraries.   They met with Longfellow parents last week.  This week
they will meet with Willard Parents on Tuesday, March 8.  On Tuesday, March
15 they will meet with King Parents.    During the school days following the
parent meeting, BHS counselors will go to the middle schools to help
students input course and learning community requests.  Student requests
will be mailed home in hard copy for final  parental approval. All
corrections must be returned promptly.

2.  New-to-BUSD: On Monday night, March 7,  the second session of
New-to-BUSD students WHO ARE CURRENT 8TH GRADERS and their parents will meet
in the Library to sign up for class choices for 2011-2012 and to prioritize
Small Learning Communities. The event starts at 6 p.m.  Before 6 students
from most of the SLCs will be circulating in order to answer last minute
questions about their schools.  Following a short presentation and question
and answer period, students will go with a counselor to sign up for classes.
Parents will wait in the library.  Parents should be sure to fill address an
envelope with their student's name and address so we can mail a hard copy of
what the student has input for final approval.

3.  Math Placement: At last week's meeting for new-to-BUSD it became obvious
that  several makeup dates for the math placement tests are needed as
several Independent schools will be on holiday during the week of April 18.
I will announce the dates of the Math Placement and Honors test  AND MAKEUP
as soon as they are set.  We are sorry for the confusion, but I assure you
the goal is to place all students in the appropriate level and there is a
team working on this; they will keep at it until it is right!

4. Content on the Math Placement Test: Meanwhile, for new-to-BUSD, algebra
content covered by the placement test are the California content standards
for Algebra 1 which can be found online:
<http://www.cde.ca.gov/be/st/ss/documents/mathstandard.pdf>
http://www.cde.ca.gov/be/st/ss/documents/mathstandard.pdf

Repeat information:

1. First round lottery results for learning community placement will be
mailed home in May.

2. Orientation. The 2011-2012 school calendar is still in negotiation.
However, for planning purposes it is safe to assume that the 9th grade
orientation will be held on the Monday of the  week before the first day of
school (August 22).  For at least a decade school has started on the
Wednesday before Labor Day (August 31). Therefore, 9th grade orientation is
likely to be August 22.2011. On that day students will collect their actual
schedule (periods, teachers' names, class location).  Students will also be
assigned a locker, check out textbooks, purchase an organizer, go on school
tours, and meet members of the administration.

3. Still puzzled? If you have any questions about this process, please
contact Janet Huseby our Volunteer Coordinator at
<mailto:jhuseby at pacbell.net> jhuseby at pacbell.net  She will do her best!

Janet Huseby

BHS Volunteer Coordinator

 <mailto:jhuseby at pacbell.net> jhuseby at pacbell.net

Diane Douglas, Marguerite Fa-Kaji and Pat Anderson are the parent-volunteer
<mailto:bhs-owner at lmi.net> bhs-owner at lmi.net.

BHS etree archives:  <http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/>
http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/; BHS PTSA website:
<http://www.bhs.berkeleypta.org/> http://www.bhs.berkeleypta.org/. To