[BHS Etree] ADMIN: Principal's notice about minor fire incident this morning

BHS etree bhs at lists.lmi.net
Fri Mar 4 14:10:19 PST 2011

Good afternoon BHS families:

This afternoon we experienced a very small fire in a hallway on the second
floor of the D building. This is the building directly above the
administrative offices. At approximately 10 a.m. the fire alarm sounded
and, per protocol, the campus was evacuated. The Berkeley Fire Department
arrived on the scene where they isolated the issue and secured the
building. The building's sprinkler systems had engaged and the small fire
was out before the fire department arrived.

We were able to resume classes after a brief delay. There was obviously a
considerable amount of water on the floor and this forced the closures of
a few areas in the D building that will likely remain closed throughout
the afternoon. Damage appears to be minimal and superficial. The library
is now open.

The cause of the fire is still very much under investigation by
administrators, safety staff, and our plant operations manager. We will
put forward details as they become available.

Classes have resumed and we are back in business. Our students were
patient and helpful throughout the incident and they deserve a compliment
for the way their collective cooperation kept the evacuation steady and
safe for all involved.

On a more positive note, I ask you to keep good thoughts for our women's
basketball team who will play Carondelet High School for the North Coast
Section championship at St. Mary's College tonight. Tip-off is set for
6:30. Go Jackets.

Have a good weekend.

Pasquale Scuderi

Principal

Berkeley High School

(510) 644-6120

Diane Douglas, Marguerite Fa-Kaji and Pat Anderson are the
parent-volunteer facilitators of the etree; please direct any questions to
them at  <mailto:bhs-owner at lmi.net> bhs-owner at lmi.net.

BHS etree archives:  <http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/>
http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/; BHS PTSA website:
<http://www.bhs.berkeleypta.org/> http://www.bhs.berkeleypta.org/. To