[BHS Etree] PARENT RESOURCE CENBER: "Black Youth in Crisis" Forum - Feb. 5, 9am

BHS etree bhs at lists.lmi.net
Thu Jan 27 09:21:36 PST 2011

PLEASE do not reply to this email, contact Irma Parker,
irma_parker at berkeley.k12.ca.us or 644-8524

ATTENTION! ATTENTION! Berkeley High School Community

The Parent Resource Center and the BUSD Parent Resource Office will host a
community forum.  The theme for the Forum will be "BLACK YOUTH IN CRISIS".
Issues affecting Black youth, such as education, employment and violence,
are hotly debated topics today.  Urban youth are bombarded with negative
media images, low academic expectations, and temptations, such as drugs
and crime, which often lead them away from following their paths to
success.  At this event, we will address these issues.  As we learn ways
of being more active with our children, not only will they respond, but so
will our community.  Our community needs to take notice and step up.  If
not now, when?

The highlights of the Forum will feature Keynote Speaker Jason Seals,
Professor of Black Studies at Merritt College, and a Teen Panel consisting
of BHS students, YouthUprising, The City of Berkeley Youth Commission, and
a Youth Service Providers Panel along with a Networking Lunch.  Please
come out to this most important community event.

Saturday February 5, 2011
9:00am - 2:00pm
Berkeley High School Library
1980 Allston Way, 2nd floor
Berkeley, Ca

ALL WELCOME!
For additional information please call (510) 644-8524 or (510) 883-5222

Diane Douglas, Marguerite Fa-Kaji and Pat Anderson are the
parent-volunteer facilitators of the etree; please direct any questions to
them at  <mailto:bhs-owner at lmi.net> bhs-owner at lmi.net.

BHS etree archives:  <http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/>
http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/; BHS PTSA website:
<http://www.bhs.berkeleypta.org/> http://www.bhs.berkeleypta.org/. To