[BHS Etree] BUSD: State Supt Announces $848 Million in Green Schools Construction

BHS etree bhs at lists.lmi.net
Sun Jan 16 09:23:30 PST 2011

PLEASE do not reply to this email, contact Mark Coplan,
Mark_Coplan at berkeley.k12.ca.us

BERKELEY - Awarding $848 million in federal tax credits for a wide variety
of school construction projects, State Superintendent of Public Instruction
Tom Torlakson today launched an effort to see that a larger number of future
projects incorporate energy efficiency and renewable power.

"It makes no sense to teach the next generation of California's students in
facilities that are relics of the past, powered by energy sources that are
out of touch with our state's renewable future," Torlakson said. "Investing
in energy efficiency will help our schools save money - now and over the
long run - and show students that we're concerned about the environment and
their future."

Torlakson said he was creating a Schools of the Future team, comprised of
education, state, labor, and business leaders to make it easier for schools
to build energy efficiency into every project, remove regulatory barriers,
and identify potential funding sources. The team will also make
recommendations on the California Department of Education's (CDE) role in
the process, including identifying best practices and providing technical
assistance to California's 1,053 school districts.

The panel will be co-chaired by Cesar Diaz, Legislative Director of the
State Building and Construction Trades Council of California, and Stephen E.
Rogers, Board Vice President of the San Mateo Union High School District,
with additional members to be named in the next few weeks.

"We are bringing creative thinkers together from our schools, from state
agencies, from labor, and from the business community, and we're giving them
a mission: make California's schools leaders in energy efficiency and
renewable energy," Torlakson said.

"We all benefit from making our local schools more energy efficient. This
program will help create thousands of new renewable energy jobs throughout
the state, many in the building and construction industries that have been
hard hit by the downturn in the economy-while saving money through reduced
energy use and improving our schools," said Senator Loni Hancock
(D-Berkeley).

Torlakson announced the project during a news conference at Berkeley High
School at the construction site of a new stadium that will take advantage of
the state's High Performance Incentive (HPI) grants. The voluntary program
provides additional funding to school projects that incorporate energy and
water efficiency, maximize natural lighting, and use recycled materials,
along with other goals.

Torlakson also announced that the Berkeley Unified School District will be
one of 61 districts throughout the state to receive a portion of the $848
million in federal Qualified School Construction Bond (QSCB) tax credits.
Meeting the state's HPI standards was not a requirement for receiving the
tax credits. The $25 million credit awarded to Berkeley will support both
the stadium project and new classrooms being built at the district's West
Campus.

"It is wonderful to see hard-fought stimulus dollars being put to good use
here in the 9th Congressional District," said Congresswoman Barbara Lee
(D-9th District)."The $848 million in tax credits being awarded to schools
around California will ensure that our students are equipped with the best
possible education, and that learning takes place in up-to-date facilities
that reflect the priorities of our state and our nation. I am proud to
support Superintendent Torlakson in a shared mission to continue investing
in our young people's education, and to do so in environmentally sustainable
and energy efficient ways."

"We are very pleased to be among the districts receiving these dollars,"
said Berkeley Unified Superintendent Bill Huyett. "It comes on the heels of
our successful construction bond campaign on the November ballot, and this
further helps us to meet the commitment to our community to find matching
resources to help support our significant construction plans, and the many
green aspects of the projects that are so important to our students and the
Berkeley community."

CDE received 130 applications for the credits, totaling more than $2.5
billion.

For the complete list of credit recipients, please visit the CDE site at
2010 Qualified School Construction Bond Results - Qualified School
Construction Bond (QSCB).

The QSCB program, which provides federal tax credits in lieu of interest to
lenders who purchase bonds from eligible school districts, is part of the
American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA). Eligible districts also have
the option to receive a direct cash subsidy payment from the U.S. Treasury.

ARRA provided up to $11 billion in tax credits nationwide for 2010, with
$1.267 billion allocated to California. Of this total, $547 million were
directly allocated to 12 large school districts and $68 million were
allocated to the California School Finance Authority for charter schools;
the remaining $652 million were allocated through the CDE application
process along with $196 million in remaining 2009 credits included in
today's awards.

The Treasury Department set a tax credit rate for QSCB that on average
equals the amount of interest school districts would ordinarily pay on debt.
With the federal government covering most or all of the interest, school
districts receive a substantial benefit because interest payments typically
equal about 50 percent of the overall cost of a bond.

The bond proceeds may be used for new construction and/or renovation and
repair of school facilities, the purchase of land on which the public school
facility will be built, and the purchase of equipment.

As a science teacher, Torlakson believes energy-saving and renewable energy
projects have enormous potential as teaching tools for students.

"I see hundreds of teachable moments where students can be included and
study firsthand the design and installation of energy-saving improvements
and solar and wind power systems," he said.

For more information on QSCB, please visit the CDE site at Qualified School
Construction Bond (QSCB) - Facilities.

 The link on vimeo is: http://vimeo.com/18821425

Mark A. Coplan Public Information Officer, BUSD 510-644-6320 Cell:
510-472-3811 Mark_Coplan at berkeley.k12.ca.us Berkeley Unified School District
2134 Martin Luther King Jr. Way Berkeley, Ca 94704-1180