[BHS Etree] ADMIN: Incident at Berkeley High School Safely Resolved

BHS etree bhs at lists.lmi.net
Mon Jan 10 13:56:46 PST 2011

Dear BHS Families and Community Members:

This morning, at approximately 11:00 a.m., BHS Administrators and Safety
Officers, working off of information provided to us from multiple sources,
confiscated a small caliber firearm from a student on campus. The Berkeley
Police Department was contacted immediately and took over the
investigation that continues as of this writing. Administratively, BHS
Staff will immediately recommend the student for expulsion as required by
law.

The nature of this incident is disheartening and reminds us of the
increasing need to dissuade and prevent kids, and people in general, from
using firearms as solutions to their problems or grievances. While this
incident itself is most troubling and validates our need to sustain
intense protocols, efforts, and policies around student safety, I am
pleased to report that no one was hurt and that the firearm itself was
safely and quietly turned over to law enforcement officials.

While I am very pleased with the work and efforts of our staff in managing
and responding to this incident, the administrative team and safety staff
will nonetheless conduct a thorough review of our process with the goal of
continuously improving what we do in the area of student safety.

Student safety is something that we will never get complacent about.

Please remind your students that if they ever hear of or see a student
with a weapon on campus that they should immediately contact an adult that
they trust like a teacher, administrator, or safety officer.

It is very clear to me that receiving word of incidents like this must
cause you immense anxiety as parents and caregivers. Hopefully the
knowledge that this is an atypical and isolated incident, coupled with the
fact that BHS staff works very hard every day to prevent incidents like
these and manage them safely on the rare occasions that they arise will
give you some degree of relief.

Respectfully,

Pasquale Scuderi
Principal