[BHS Etree] ADMIN: Spirit Rally corrections and additions

BHS etree bhs at lists.lmi.net
Sun Oct 24 13:50:14 PDT 2010

Please DO NOT REPLY to the E-tree. Contact: Janet Huseby [mailto:jhuseby at pacbell.net]

Spirit Week starts Monday with Fictional Character Day. I have received several inquiries regarding my last posting.

The rally day schedule was incorrect. The correct schedule is below.

Service Cup Collections: We are looking for new or used items in good condition. (Blankets, warm coats, books, shoes and toys)

I have 58 volunteers so far to act as ushers and extra eyes. We are looking for 20 more.

Below is the original posting with corrections.

1. Monday is Fictional Character Day. Dress as your favorite movie, book, or game character.

Tuesday is “Be What you Do Day.” Are you an athlete or an artist? Are you a sports fan or maybe you are an urban farmer? Dress for your favorite pastime.

Wednesday is Halloween Day: Wear your Halloween Costume! Just one rule - no masks.

Thursday is 80s and 90s Day for Seniors and URKEL Day for grades 9-11.

Friday is Red and Gold Day! Wear Red and Gold. The day starts with the Senior Spell-Out, features the famous Barbeque Club, a Rally of great noise and excitement held in the Awesome Berkeley Community Theater, and the homecoming game where the Royal Court will be crowned during halftime: Count and Countess, Duke and Duchess, Prince and Princess, King and Queen.

2.  The contests: The Commitment Cup goes to the class with the best overall attendance rate Monday through Thursday of Spirit Week.

The Service Cup goes to the class that collects the greatest amount. We are looking for items which are new or used in good condition. (Freshmen: Toys; Sophomores: Blankets/warm coats; Juniors: books; Seniors: shoes) Collection bins  will be place outside of the Students Activity Office in the Food Court.

The Spirit Cup goes to the class with the best Rally Dance.

3. Student-designed t-shirts for each class will be sold at lunch from now through Spirit Week on the Senior Steps and at all other times the Leadership Office. The t-shirts are only $12. A great Red and Gold deal!

4. Football game. Of course the point of the Rally is to cheer our team on. Go Yellow Jackets! We will be playing El Cerrito High School at 7 p.m. (JV plays at 4:30) The box office opens at 4. Tickets are $4 for students (with ID) and $6 for adults. During half time the homecoming royalty will be crowned.

5.  Below is the schedule for Friday's Rally day and a few rules and procedures to make sure a good time is had by all.

7:23 am is the Senior Spell-Out. This is a picture event in the courtyard.

Zero period  7:23 to 8:23

1st period   8:29 to 9:19

2nd Period   9:25 to 10:15

3rd period  10:21 to 11:11

Lunch       11:11 to 11:51

4th period  11:57 to 12:47

5th period  12:53 to 1:43

6th period   1:49 to 2:39

Rally        2:45 to 3:30

6. Rules.

a. Students who do not want to attend the rally may leave the campus after 6th period. If they leave and change their mind they are not allowed back on campus.

b.  At 11:50 (the end of lunch) the campus will be locked down. That is, no students will be allowed on campus. If they have lingered over lunch, too bad, they will miss the rally. No one is admitted after 11:50. This includes students whose parents have pulled them out for medical appointments. Change appointments now!

c. During fifth period, administrators will distribute wrist bands to all students in their sixth period class. Only students with wrist bands may attend the rally. Students at Independent Studies will receive wrist bands from their administrator who will accompany them to the rally.

d. Students with no 6th period will spend that period in the library or College and Career Center. (Don't leave campus if you want to attend the rally, you will not be allowed in EVEN if you have a wristband.) All students will leave their backpacks in their sixth period classroom (or library or CCC). After the rally, teachers will unlock their classrooms and wait until 3:50 for students to pick them up.

e. All day, no liquid containers (water bottles, lotion bottles, etc.) are allowed on campus. Water will be available. This is to say, no alcohol is allowed. And, on the subject of what doesn't fly: Students who are out of class or sent to OCI during the day before the rally WILL NOT be able to participate. They will remain in OCI and go home.

f. Next step. Students under the influence of alcohol will be sent to OCI and held until their parents come pick them up. They will be automatically suspended. Dear Parents, should you receive one of these unfortunate calls, on Rally Day there will be no opportunity to talk to an administrator.

g. No standing on the seats in the Community Theater!

h. Final rule, have a good time!

7.  Volunteers. Traditionally the rally was held in the Donahue Gym - but we have outgrown the space. For the last two years the rally was held on the football field but this is not feasible with construction. The upshot? This year the rally will be held in the Community Theater. The space is exciting and has been home to many serious rock concerts but it also requires ushers and traffic control. We are hoping for 76 parent volunteers to help - at a minimum.

So far 58 wonderful adults have stepped up. If you have not yet volunteered, please do so by emailing me at jhuseby at pacbell.net. If your child is hesitant about having their parent on campus, please assure them you can be assigned a spot far away. They will never see you. I am asking all volunteers to report to the Front Desk between 1 and 1:30. Please leave large bags and purses home and, if you can, bring a cell phone. I will be at the desk dispatching volunteers to all ends of the campus. No matter where you are sent at first, everyone who wants to watch the rally will be able to once it gets going.

8. Our Berkeley High kids are the best. And so is our staff, working incredibly hard to make sure our kids have a good Spirit Week. Go Yellow Jackets!

Janet Huseby
BHS Volunteer Coordinator
jhuseby at pacbell.net