[BHS Etree] ADMIN: School Notes

BHS etree bhs at lists.lmi.net
Thu Sep 16 10:41:09 PDT 2010

Please DO NOT REPLY to this E-mail. Contact: Janet Huseby [mailto:jhuseby at pacbell.net]

1. Military Opt Out form. Under the federal "No Child Left Behind" Act, all school districts are required to provide the military with the names and addresses of high school students for recruiting purposes. If your child is a junior or senior and does not want Berkeley High to give their personal information to the military, they must fill out and sign one of the "opt out" forms. These forms were distributed to all juniors and seniors during assemblies on Tuesday. Extra copies of the forms are available at the Front Desk. The forms may be turned in up until Friday, September 24 at the Front Desk.

Please note: If a junior completed a military waiver last year, a new waiver will need to be completed this year. Parents should also be aware that the military has avenues other than the school district from which it may obtain personal information.

a. There is a box on the SATs to check if students wish to receive information from colleges. If the box is checked, the military will also send information.
b. Members of the military, as do a number of colleges, hold information meetings for interested students in the College and Career Center. These meetings are advertised in the Student Daily Bulletin.
c. Finally, all 18-year-old males are required to register for the Selective Service (the draft) as must all male students who apply for federal financial aid for college.

2. Parent Elections. Tonight, Thursday, September 16  is the first PTSA meeting of the year. The meeting will start at 7 p.m. in the Florence Schwimley Little Theater (entrance on Allston Way). Important elections for the School Site Committee, the BSEP Committee and the PTSA itself will be held. Please plan on attending. Principal Scuderi will address the gathering.

3. Power School. Many are still having trouble creating a new login. We know it is frustrating. We are sorry! The BHS tech team will be available during Back-to-School Night on Thursday, September 30. We will announce the times and locations as soon as that is confirmed.

4. Double Addresses. The school is unable to input two addresses. I keep an informal list of students whose parents live at separate addresses. This list is only for mailings in which I am involved (summer mailing, newsletters, other mass mailings). It does not include official school letters such as report cards or personalized letters to parents. If you would like to be included on my informal list, please let me know by sending your addresses to Janet Huseby [mailto:jhuseby at pacbell.net]