[BHS Etree] BULLETIN: Student Daily Bulletin, Thurs., 9/16

BHS etree bhs at lists.lmi.net
Wed Sep 15 20:28:51 PDT 2010

PLEASE DO NOT REPLY TO THIS E-MAIL.  All information is collected and prepared for the bulletin by Belinda McDaniel at the BHS front desk. Students hear these announcements read over the speaker system on a daily basis. No additional information or details are available from the Etree.

STUDENT DAILY BULLETIN
September 16, 2010

*New or updated information

Administration

1. Do you want to help tutor or mentor students at Willard Middle School?  You can get community service and tutoring hours by joining APIC’s new project, the Young People’s Program.  It is very rewarding opportunity to help struggling students and we encourage everybody interested to apply.  Please go to room C334 to pick up an application TODAY!

2. BART tickets have arrived, you can pick them up during lunch time only.  If you didn’t pre-order tickets, the next time you can pre-order will be September 28th and 29th.

3. Spirit Week is the last week of October, and it will come faster than you think!!  So we need T-shirts designs now!  And yes it’s a contest.  The winner gets the t-shirt free and a spirit pack.  Tickets to a dance of your choice or a VISA gift card!!!  Submit your t-shirt designs to the leadership office by October 1st.  Your design should be for the front and the back of the shirt!

4. Sign up for the Student Court Class!  Join the fight against the school-to–prision pipeline, and take part in the restorative justice revolution at Berkeley High.  The student court class is taught by a UC Berkeley Boalt Law student.  Students who join the class will be responsible for representing their peers in the Student Court proceedings.  Questions? Interested? Sign up now in H104.  Class begins today and takes place on Tuesdays and Thursdays 7th period.  This is a leadership elective course worth 5 credits per semester. Come by H104 for details about the Student Court.

CLUBS

1. New Outdoor Adventure Club meeting this Thursday at lunch.  Come to Room C115 to find out more. We plan to climb mountains, ski/snowboard, raft...bring your ideas!

2. Want to start a club?  Or do you need to re-register your club from last year?  Answer: yes you do.  Get club registration forms in the leadership office to start your club today.

3. Are you an Asian Pacific Islander or either in heart?  Want to meet some new people and attend fun social activities?  Come join the Asian and Pacific Islander Committee!  APIC welcomes everybody so come to the first meeting this Thursday at lunch in room C334.  We hope to see you there.

4. Do you want to save the world?? Come debate international issues at Model UN, and become a global citizen.  First meeting this Thursday at lunch in C315.

5. Would you like to gain leadership skills, build a stronger college resume, and give back to your community?  Then join Berkeley’s first ever Interact Club, sponsored by Rotary International.  Come to our kick-off meeting, Friday, September 24th at 4:00pm in the Community Room of the Berkeley Public Library.  We will be giving an over-view of club activities, info about college mentorships, and travel opportunities.  There will be snacks!

6. The BHS Muslim Student Association will be meeting each Friday at 3:40 pm in room G200.  Everyone, including non-Muslim students, are welcome to attend and talk about issues affecting American Muslims and being a Muslim student at Berkeley High.

*7. Earphone English - First  meeting this Friday, September 17th at lunchtime in C124.  Come help us decide what to do this year!  (Notice - it is a new day of the week, and in Mr. Berkman’s room.)

*8. Got game??  The BHS Chess Club wants you!!  We meet every Thursday in Portable #7 from 3:30 to 4:45 pm, starting this week.  Players of all skill levels, including beginners, are welcome!

*9. Looking for adventure?  Join geoca chiry club!  Geocaching is a high tech treasure hunt played throughout the world by adventure seekers armed with GPS devices.  Come to room A205 at lunch on Tuesday, September 21st.

*10. Want to dance but do your own style, or maybe there’s no room on your schedule, well now you can.  Join the BHS dance team, there will be a meeting and sign up on Monday, 9/20 at the community theater stage at 4:00 pm.

SENIOR /JUNIOR SECTION

1. Hey Seniors interested in being in the 2011 Chicano Latino Graduation Committee?  Then come join us at our first meeting this Thursday, September 16 at 4:00 pm in the D Building.

*2. SAT Prep Class on Mondays and Wednesdays- Starting Monday, September 20 in room D219  from 3:30 – 5:30 pm.

3. College Visits (Seniors only)

09/16/10
	12:30	Cornell College (IA)
09/17/10
	8:27	Whitman College (WA)
	9:19	Drexel University (PA)
	12:48	Northeastern University(MA)
	1:44	U of Colorado Boulder (CO)
	2:32	Beliot College(WI)

SPORTS

1. Looking for athletes to join Women’s Crew!  See Coach Simon O’Neill in G305 for information.

JOBS/INTERNSHIPS

1. Looking for a job?  Berkeley Public Library is hiring five(5) students to work at the Central library and branches.  These jobs involve assisting Teen Services librarians in a variety of tasks. Contact 510-981-6147.  For more information.  Salary range: $10/hour.  Email [mailto:bplteens at ciberkeley.ca.us]

BHS etree archives: http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/