[BHS Etree] PTSA: Candidates Needed for SSC & BSEP

BHS etree bhs at lists.lmi.net
Mon Sep 13 08:50:16 PDT 2010

Please DO NOT REPLY to the E-tree. Contact Mark van Krieken [mailto:markvk4 at comcast.net] or Natasha Beery [mailto:natashabeery at gmail.com]

The elections for School Site Council (SSC) and BSEP Committee will be held at this Thursday's Back-To-School PTSA meeting in the Florence Schwimley Theater, from 7:00 to 9:00 PM. These are the two most important committees in the school, and we absolutely need more parents to get involved. We need a total of at least eight candidates for SSC (six members and two alternates) and we currently only have three people running. For BSEP, we need a total of at least seven candidates (five members and two alternates) and we currently have only six. Ideally, we have ten to twelve candidates for each, so there is the chance to select from as diverse and representative of a group of potential candidates as possible.

For those of you who are considering running:

Info On Committee Roles: Please visit the PTSA Website at http://www.bhs.berkeleypta.org/pta/ssc-bsep-desc.htm to read explanations of the two committees and what they do.

Nomination Forms: Please visit http://natashabee.wufoo.com/forms/nomination-form-2010-parent-elections/ to fill out a nomination form for either SSC or BSEP.

Submission Deadlines: The deadline for submitting candidates' statements has been moved from Monday evening to Tuesday evening at 5:00 PM (in light of the need for more candidates). The statements will then be posted on the PTSA Website at http://www.bhs.berkeleypta.org/index.htm by Wednesday morning. Candidates can still submit their nominations after the Tuesday deadline (and all the way up to the start of the elections themselves Thursday night), but are not guaranteed of getting their statements posted in time for the community to see them. Spanish translations will hopefully be available on the PTSA Website by Wednesday evening.

Election Evening: Candidates will each be asked to give a one-and-a-half minute speech at Thursday's PTSA Meeting, in order to give the voters a better sense of who they are voting for.

A Quick Overview Of The Different Committees:

The School Site Council (SSC) examines Berkeley High's student achievement data and school needs, and develops an Action Plan with goals and strategies for school improvement. The plan includes curriculum, safety and discipline, professional development, budgeting, and more. In 2010-11 the SSC will also be involved with the WASC accreditation process. Serving on the SSC is a great way to learn about Berkeley High, and to help set priorities for the school. The SSC usually meets twice a month during the school year. The School Site Council consists of six parents/guardians, six students and 12 members of the school staff.

The BSEP Site Committee develops the annual spending budget for Berkeley High's share of our local Measure A property tax revenues; nearly $800,000. In the fall, the BSEP Committee visits and evaluates the programs funded the previous year and, in the spring, the committee reviews new projects and proposals. BSEP currently funds academic tutoring, college and career advising, school supplies, and much more. Serving on the BSEP Committee is a great way to learn about Berkeley High, and to guide funding decisions at the school. The Committee usually meets once a month during the school year, although it may meet more frequently in March when the budget is created. The BSEP Site Committee is comprised of 15 members, with equal numbers of parents/guardians, students, and school staff.

The PTSA Executive Board organizes the activities of the Berkeley High PTSA. The main goals for the PTSA in the coming year are to create a stronger sense of community at Berkeley High and support efforts to improve the school for all students. Parent/School communication and parent education have always been strong traditional roles for the PTSA and will continue to be a big priority. Activities supported by the PTSA include the Newsletter; the Etrees; the PTSA Website; the PTSA Organizer, and various college guidebooks. We also have a parent education series; future evenings may deal with alcohol & drugs; homework & stress management; and issues of race, ethnicity, class and community. The PTSA seeks a diverse and active membership throughout the school. If you're interested in the PTSA Executive Board, there are many possible roles, from President, to Secretary, to Historian, to Newsletter editors. Please get in touch with Mark van Krieken
 (markvk4 at comcast.net) or Natasha Beery (natashabeery at gmail.com) to learn more.

Sincerely,

Natasha Beery & Mark van Krieken
BHS PTSA