[BHS Etree] PTSA: Parent Election Info For SSC & BSEP

BHS etree bhs at lists.lmi.net
Tue Sep 7 07:38:42 PDT 2010

Candidate Information Meeting Time Change & SSC/BSEP Nominations Now Open!

Sept. 8th  Information Meeting for Potential Candidates – Now at 4:15 pm (earlier than before)
For those of you who are thinking of joining a committee or running for office, we are hosting an information meeting this coming Wednesday, September 8th in the BHS library.  The time has been moved up to 4:15 pm in order to better accommodate those who are observing Rosh Hashanah. We will have parent representatives present from Berkeley High’s BSEP Committee, School Site Council (SSC), Safety Committee, Development Group and PTSA to give short presentations and answer questions about what is involved in serving on each of these committees.

Nomination Forms Available Online!
If you wish to nominate yourself or someone else to serve for the elected positions on the School Site Council or BSEP Site Committee, the nomination form is now online at http://natashabee.wufoo.com/forms/nomination-form-2010-parent-elections/.  Paper forms in English and Spanish are also available from Belinda McDaniel at the front office for anyone who does not have internet access.  Please spread the word!

Committee Descriptions
Descriptions of the elected committees (School Site Council and BSEP Site Committee) are at the PTSA website at http://www.bhs.berkeleypta.org/.  Descriptions of appointed committees (BSEP P&O, Safety Committee, Development Group) will be up before Wednesday.

Questions?
If you cannot attend the Candidate Information Meeting on September 8th, but have questions about elected or appointed positions, please contact:

•School Site Council, BSEP Site Committee or BSEP P&O Committee:  Mary Hurlbert at mary at berkeley.k12.ca.us or 510-644-8417.
•Safety Committee:  Denise Diggs-Ray at diggsray at aol.com or 510-847-0977
•Development Group: Rosa Luevano, rluevano at pacbell.net and Jennifer Burroughs  jdburroughs at sbcglobal.net
•PTSA:  Mark van Krieken at markvk4 at comcast.net and Natasha Beery at natashabeery at earthlink.net or 510-414-1991

Back-To-School PTSA Meeting & Elections – Sept. 16th:
The big back-to-school PTSA meeting takes place on Thursday, September 16th from  7:00  to  9:00 PM  in the Florence Schwimley Theater (“The Little Theater” – entrance on  Alston Way ).  This is one of the most important events held at the school each year, as we present a tremendous amount of information, introduce our new principal Pasquale Scuderi (followed by a Q&A), and we hold Berkeley High’s all-important school-wide elections for parent representatives for School Site Council (SSC), Berkeley Schools Excellence Project (BSEP) Committee and the PTSA Executive Board.  Please plan to attend this meeting if at all possible. There will be an opportunity to vote on Friday, the 17th at school from 8:00 to 5:00, but you will have missed the opportunity to hear from Principal Scuderi, the candidates and the PTSA.  You need not be a dues-paying member of the PTSA to vote in the elections, but you must be a current BHS parent or guardian in order to vote.

PTSA Membership:
If you did not receive a PTSA membership envelope in your summer mailing, please join the PTSA by downloading the form at http://www.bhs.berkeleypta.org/pta/membership-form.PDF   Your membership in the PTSA supports the publication of the PTSA newsletter, parent education programs, and other PTSA activities.

Thank you,

Natasha Beery and Mark van Krieken
Berkeley High PTSA