[BHS Etree] ADMIN: Registration/Orientation--detailed explanation and third call for help

BHS etree bhs at lists.lmi.net
Sun Aug 15 15:38:51 PDT 2010

Contact: Janet Huseby jhuseby at pacbell.net

Next week, August 23 through August 27 is Registration for grades 9-12 and
Orientation for grades 9 (and other new students who wish to come).  Below I
will explain what happens at both events, what to bring, makeup day
information, AC transit Clipper Card, emergency card online, picture
information, and more. But first, I am going to ask for help.

1. In order to have a smooth registration without huge lines we need a
minimum of 20 volunteers each morning (starting at 8:45 a.m. on Monday,
August 23 and 8:15 a.m. for Tuesday-Friday)  and each afternoon (12:45 p.m.
all five days).  These are the numbers of volunteers I have so far:

August 23
am  10 volunteers
pm 3 volunteers

August 24
am 7 volunteers
pm 7 volunteers

August 25
am: 3 volunteers
pm 7 volunteers

August 26
am 4 volunteers
pm 3 volunteers

August 27
Am 6 volunteers
pm 1 volunteer

The numbers are sort of pitiful.  Please volunteer. Registration is a
wonderful time to help. The jobs are not difficult.  If you are a parent,
guardian, aunt or uncle or grandparent you get to see all of your dear
child's classmates.  If you are a student seeking service hours, well, you
too get to see everyone who is anyone.  Kids are happy and excited to be
back--no matter what they say. It is an upbeat week.  If you can possibly
help (and there WILL be free parking in the teachers lots) please let me
know by sending me an email to jhuseby at pacbell.net

2. Orientation. Freshmen report to an orientation session which starts in
the Berkeley Community Theater before they go through registration.  There
are three orientation sessions: Last name A to G: 8:30 a.m.; Last name GL to
OL 10:30 a.m.; Last name ON to Z 1 p.m.  We encourage everyone to come at
their assigned times if at all possible.  If you are a new student in
10-12th grade you may attend any of the three sessions if you want, though
it is not required.  New students will meet members of the school
administration and counselors and they will be given tours by upperclassmen.

3. Registration. During registration students will receive their first
semester schedule, have their school photo ID picture taken, purchase a BHS
organizer, sign up for a AC transit Clipper Card, turn in technology forms,
receive a locker and check out textbooks. Freshmen come in three batches
(see hours above). Everyone else is staggered during the day in order to
minimize waiting.  Please check the label on the outside of your envelope
for the time you are assigned.

4. What to bring: Technology form, $4 for your organizer, money for a school
picture if you want the ABC Harrell package, emergency card information (see
below), and  your summer mailing white envelope which contains your STUDENT
ID. (If you lost your white envelope, don't panic, we will look up your
student ID number it will just take a little bit of time). In addition we
will be collecting PTSA membership envelopes and Jacket subscriptions.

5. Emergency cards. This year we did not send home the traditional paper
emergency cards.  Our plan is to have everyone go online to
www.bhs.berkeley.net and input their emergency information.  This is
important to do every year.  If you have not already gone online to input
this information or do not have internet access, please bring the following
information to school so you may do it during registration: doctor's number,
dentist's number, health insurance information, three contacts to call in
case of emergency.

6. Address change.  If you have moved, it is not enough to change your
address on the emergency forms.  You must provide 3 proofs of your new
address to Belinda McDaniel in the front office. For example: rental
agreement, drivers' license, utility bill, bank statement, etc.

7. Request a change of course.  When you pick up your schedule, you should
look it over very carefully.  If the school has made a mistake (wrong level,
a course you didn't request, etc.) you must file a request to change a
course. Counselors will be available the week of August 23 to help file
these requests which will only be accepted that week. Starting on Monday the
30th counselors will be concentrating on new students and will not be
available for currently registered students. If you cannot attend
registration, please send an adult proxy with a letter from parent or
guardian authorizing them to pick up the schedule. The proxy should look
over the schedule carefully and have a contact number should there be a
problem.

8. What if you cannot attend registration at all the week of August 23?
There will be a makeup day on Monday, August 30.  That is, students can pick
up their schedule from the counseling office, have their picture taken in
the Jacket Gym, and check out textbooks in the text book room.  Counselors
will probably not be available and, unfortunately, we will not have any
lockers left to disburse. If you cannot come until the first day of school,
Wednesday, September 1, well, plan on coming as early as you can (7:30 am)
in order to pick your schedule.

9. Pictures. The picture package is not required.  All students are required
to have a picture ID but that is provided free of charge. If you wish a
traditional school picture, please fill out the envelope provided in the
mailing.  Senior pictures are a separate event.  ABC Harrell will be mailing
home senior picture information to all seniors.

10. Clipper Card or student bus fare. AC transit will be manning a booth
during registration.   The booth will operate from 10 until 2. The school
will provide proof of age (no need to bring passport or birth certificate.)
Go to www.translinkyouthapp.eventbrite.com to begin the process. These cards
are important. AC transit will no longer be selling youth tickets.

11. Lockers are FREE but students must bring their own lock.

12. Parents do not have to accompany their students during registration.
But, if parents wish to come, we will have chairs for them in the Jacket
Gym.

13. Free and reduced lunch forms will be available during registration.
Families must fill out a new form every year.

14. Math placement.  Watch the etree for more information.

15. Language placement. BHS will be testing incoming students from non-BUSD
schools for language placement in any course above the beginning level.
This includes courses in French, Latin, Mandarin, and Spanish. PLEASE NOTE:
This applies only to incoming freshman and other new students who wish to
take a language above the beginning level and are NOT currently enrolled in
a BUSD middle school. Dates:  August 24-25, from 10:00-12:00. Location:
Tests will be administered in Portable 8. No sign-up required. Do not reply
to this e-mail, please contact Daniel Roose Daniel_roose at berkeley.k12.ca.us

16. Finally, if you are new to Berkeley High School, do not worry.  It all
starts to make sense once you and your student get going!

Janet Huseby
BHS Volunteer Coordinator
jhuseby at pacbell.net