[BHS Etree] ADMIN: Summer Mailing Contents and Thanks to School Community

BHS etree bhs at lists.lmi.net
Thu Aug 5 22:14:05 PDT 2010

Do not reply to this e-mail, please contact Janet Huseby
[mailto:jhuseby at pacbell.net]

On Wednesday afternoon we hauled 56 mail bags to the post office with the
summer mailing.  Because of cost the packets are going out by Standard
Mail—formerly known as “Bulk.”  The post office has up to two weeks to
deliver the envelopes though we hope most of you will receive your packets
long before that.  Below are the contents:

1.Registration Directions
2. Principal’s letter
3. Emergency card directions. (We are no longer sending out the paper
emergency cards.  Instead the district is asking everyone to fill a form on
line.  Should you not have access to the Internet, we will provide paper
forms during registration week (August 23-27).
4. Bell Schedule
5. Health Center forms (9th grade students only)
6. Athletic information
7. Berkeley Athletic Fund Information
8. Three fold flyer with information about School Site Council and BSEP
committees
9. Map of school with information / etree information
10. Calendar/e-tree information
11. Photo forms from ABC Harrell
12. PTSA Newsletter
13. Development Group information
14. AC transit information
15. Technology release form
16. Parent Resource Center information
17. Jacket subscription forms
18. Escrip signup
19. PTSA membership envelope
20. List of contents.  IMPORTANT! For many people this list will not be
accurate.
       A. The city did not deliver a flyer encouraging everyone to make sure
they are immunized against     		whooping cough.
       B. Only the freshmen families received forms from the Berkeley High
Health Center.
       C. There is no directory release form
       D. And, finally, approximately 20 percent of the packets were sealed
before the PTSA membership 			envelopes were delivered.
If you are among those families who do not receive an envelope, please
plan on picking one up at the first PTSA meeting in September.

And now my favorite part: thanking the amazing people who came in to make
the mailing possible.   I revel in the numbers because they are a testament
to the strong support our beautiful school receives from a community that
comes through for its children. On Tuesday,  88 people showed up to put on
labels, collate, Xerox, stuff, re-stuff, seal, sort and rubber band. On
Wednesday, 41 more people came to count, recount, finish collating, clean up
and haul the bags to the post office.  By 11:11 I  left  the bulk mail
office at the post office and the job was done but volunteers kept coming in
to offer their time. Sitting for a few minutes by the front office, I spoke
with 11 more people  who left work in the middle of the day in the middle of
the summer to support our school. Who knows how many of you were not even
counted?  Who knows how many of you read the email canceling the afternoon
session but would have come should you have been needed? This is, to
 paraphrase Wilbur, “some community.”   Thank you, thank you one and all for
a job well done.

I am going to pause for a day, but then I am going to start asking for help
with registration.  As a heads up, I will be looking for 20 people for each
morning and afternoon session Monday through Friday, August 23 through 27!
Students looking for service hours will once again be gladly accepted!

Finally,  while I am in a grateful mode, may I thank our amazing e-tree
moderators Pat, Marguerite, and Diane who have kept at their posts over the
summer sending important news and notices to the Berkeley High School
community.  Where would we be without them? They are, simply put, the best.

Janet Huseby
BHS Volunteer Coordinator
jhuseby at pacbell.net