[BHS Etree] BULLETIN: Student Daily Bulletin, Fri. 5/28

BHS etree bhs at lists.lmi.net
Thu May 27 15:21:48 PDT 2010

STUDENT DAILY BULLETIN
May 28, 2010

*Indicates new or updated item

ADMINISTRATION

SAT word of the day: accelerate(v) To move faster

1. Looking for Leadership and Community Service next year? Contact Karen Meryash at kspivey at ix.netcom.com or call 510-303-3048. Mathworks is looking for coordinators and Lead Tutors.

2. Please remind any students who are in danger of failing your class or who are behind in credits to apply for Summer School. Counselors are working with students to help them sign up, but the more adults pushing students to make up credits, the better. The brochure and application are attached. They are also available in the counseling office. Applications are due by Friday, May 28.

CLUBS

*Attention all club leaders: You must re-register your club now for the next school year. Or hey -- do you want to start a club for next year? Come to the leadership office to get the club registration form today!

SENIOR SECTION

Do you want a senior sweatshirt?  Hey Seniors, I said "Don't you want a sweatshirt?" Get a lasting, cool, and useful memento of your awesomeness at Berkeley High. Senior hoodies are only $25 and we have all sizes. Come to the Leadership Office to get yours today!

EVENTS/PERFORMANCES

*1. COME SEE DANCE PROJECTS THURDAY AND FRIDAY THIS WEEK!
The Dance Projects class performs this week with guest artists from Beginning Modern and AHA Dance classes. This is a great show featuring HipHop, Bollywood, Modern, Jazz, Cuban Salsa, African Fusion and much, much more, with a rockin' jazz band and a choir to boot! These shows will sell out so come early or buy tickets online at brownpapertickets.com. Box opens at 6 pm, show starts at 7 pm sharp! In the Little Theater. $5 students/staff, $12 general.

2. Hear the world premieres of three fantastic new songwriters, the finalists in the first BHS Songwriting Competition: Also featuring choral and solo songs by the Berkeley High Chorus and Vocal Jazz groups, with the assistance of both instrumental Jazz, and Dance performers. This is only the second year that Chorus has been back at Berkeley High. Come and give this excellent new program your support. Tuesday, June 1st at 7 pm in the Little Theater.

3. BHS Jazz Alum Benny Green to perform at Yoshi's-Oakland. The Benny Green trio featuring acclaimed jazz pianist (and Berkeley High alum) Benny Green will be performing at Yoshi's Oakland from May 28-30. Tickets to any show are available to Berkeley High students, their families and friends for only $10 each. To take advantage of this generous offer use the following link: www.yoshis.com/oakland/jazzclub/artist/show/1275. Use the promo code "BHS" to qualify for these reduced price tickets.

*4. FREE Youth Music Concert Saturday 6/5, 5:00 PM
Who: WINDS ACROSS THE BAY, The East Bay's Premier Youth Wind Ensemble
When: Saturday, June 5, 2010, 5:00 PM
Where: Hilltop Community Church, 3118 Shane Dr, Richmond CA 94806
Cost: FREE

Come join us for our Spring Concert! Our theme is AMERICAN PORTRAITS, as we celebrate American composers. Featuring soloists Daniel Schumacher, Trumpet; Anna Ruth McKee, Bassoon; and Benjamin Shapiro, Piano, this concert celebrates WAB's return to the Hilltop Community Church. It will be our first performance in their state-of-the-art Performance Hall, newly completed in 2009. Joining us for part of the concert will be the 50-member strong Hilltop CC Sanctuary Chorus! Admission to the concert is FREE! (Those wishing to assist with our costs can donate to us via PayPal by following this link, and clicking on the DONATE button: http://www.windsacrossthebay.org/)