[BHS Etree] BUSD: Letter from Superintendent Huyett on 2010-11 Budget Cuts

BHS etree bhs at lists.lmi.net
Thu May 27 07:16:39 PDT 2010

May 26, 2010

Dear Berkeley Schools Community Members,

For the third straight year I am writing to you about significant
cuts to Berkeley Unified, and all California public schools. Over the last
two years, we trimmed $11 million from the budget, and now more reductions
are required.  For the next school year the Governor's proposed reductions,
coupled with our increasing costs force us to reduce the General Fund budget
by $3.1 million.

A couple of years ago, California was 47th in per student funding
for education; now, after two years of severe cuts, the state ranks even
lower. In many districts, kindergarten through third grade classes, once 20
students, are now 30. Average high school class sizes of 36 to 40 are
becoming commonplace. Thanks to Measure A (BSEP), we are not planning to
reduce the number of classroom teachers next year or to increase class size.
Berkeley grade K-3 classes will remain at an average of 20 students; grades
4-5 at an average of 26, and grades 7-12 at an average of 28.

It is with a real sense of sadness that I watch the continuing
economic crisis being compounded by a lack of resolve in Sacramento to
prevent the financial collapse of school districts across the state. While
in Berkeley there are local resources in the form of Measure A (BSEP) and
Measure BB (Facility Maintenance) to help with class size, music, library
and other programs, the cuts we will have to make will severely affect the
education of our students.

Compounding these difficulties, the Governor has just proposed to
eliminate almost all state funding for preschool programs and some
afterschool programs, such as the district's BEARS program. (The LEARNS
after-school programs are not affected by this reduction.)  Currently, BUSD
runs a $5.0 million pre-school program and K-3 afterschool program
(BEARS) for low-income families, funded completely by the state and federal
governments. The governor's cut would eliminate about $3.6 million of that
funding.

The preschool and BEARS program reductions proposed recently by the
Governor come as a shock, and no local support is in place for these
programs. This proposal hits our most vulnerable population: children in
low-income households. We are collaborating with City of Berkeley and other
preschool providers to attempt to mitigate the damage if these reductions
become part of the state budget. District preschools, and other area
preschools funded by these monies, provide a valuable boost to children as
they prepare for kindergarten. Kindergarten readiness is a primary goal of
2020 Vision activities, aimed at eliminating the achievement gap.

I asked my staff in February to make a preliminary list of budget
reductions, and this list has been reviewed by the Superintendent's Budget
Advisory Committee which made its own recommendations to me. That committee
is comprised of an equal number of employees (including all five
unions) and community members. I then reviewed all the suggestions before
making a recommendation to the School Board. The School Board will make all
final decisions and must pass a balanced budget by the end of June.
Proposed reductions sent to the Board by me include:

*Over $1 million in non-salary items, including classroom
furniture, textbook money, state school-targeted funds, high school exit
exam support monies; and transportation department cuts that will require
changes to funding field trip and athletic team transportation

*Elimination of six positions, including a middle school vice
Principal

*Adult School programs cuts of $325,000, including fewer classes,
higher fees, and higher class sizes

*Elimination of $500,000 of operating costs with the opening of our
new transportation facility (half of this reduction was built into this
year's budget).

*I have proposed a one-day furlough of all district staff in order to reduce
the number of positions to be laid off. A furlough would need to be
negotiated with our unions, and my proposal is for the furlough day to be on
a staff development day when no students are attending school.

Three straight years of budget reductions are extremely demoralizing
for our hard-working teachers and staff, especially those who are receiving
notices of possible layoff. I appreciate the community's support of
teachers, staff, and administrators, so I want to continue to keep you
informed about these budget reductions. You can sign up for email updates at
the website, www.berkeley.net.

Sincerely,

William Huyett
Superintendent of Schools