[BHS Etree] ADMIN: AP/IB Proctors, venues, instructions and parking

BHS etree bhs at lists.lmi.net
Fri Apr 30 15:12:53 PDT 2010

Please DO NOT REPLY to the E-tree. Contact: Janet Huseby [mailto:jhuseby at pacbell.net]

Below you will find the following:

A. General AP/IB instructions and parking information

B. A complete list of proctors (with venues for the first two days only)

C. Specific instructions for IB proctors.

However, before I go any further I wish to salute the amazing community (that is all of you) for the support and care you are extending to our Berkeley High students. They are fortunate to have you. Thank you for proctoring.

A.  General AP/IB instructions and parking information

1. Venues. I have only been given a partial list of venues for the first two days. And, even in the first two days I have only the general exam room not the extended time. And no IB info. I will post venues completely when I get them. You will find the roster with venues at the bottom of this email. Please check out your name to make sure I have put you in correctly. This is important as I have already made several mistakes.

2. Proctors should report directly to their designated venue. Once there, please sign in and get a volunteer badge. Please write your name on the badge.

3.  Bring a sweater. The rooms can be chilly. A number of tests have extended time. ET students have qualified for double time or time and a half. Because the timing is different they take their exam in a different location. I have assigned all ET reliefs (that is starting at 11:30 a.m.) but not the proctors for the morning extended. I will randomly ask proctors as they arrive if they can take the ET kids. If you end up in a conference room proctoring these students, you will want something to read. Everyone should bring something to read just in case.

4. AP proctors will check students in, distribute student exams, walk up and down, collect exams. There will be a paid administrator in each exam. IB proctor instructions are below the roster.

5. Parking. Berkeley High is about to lose 150 parking spots due to the impending construction of a new field house on the east side of the football field. Many teachers will no longer be able to park at Berkeley High. Cars will be towed with no impunity. Construction is scheduled to start May 10. I will have parking passes for the first week of testing only: May 3 through 7. If you are proctoring after the 7th, I will not have a parking pass in hand. If you are unable to take public transit or walk, there are paid lots in the downtown area or street parking west of Sacramento. I am sorry I cannot offer a pass but I do know that you should not gamble and park in the teachers' lots because you will be towed. If you are proctoring the first week (May 3 -7) please send me an email if you need a pass at jhuseby at pacbell.net

B. Complete list of Proctors and incomplete list of venues

1. Monday, May 3

AM: AP United States Government (4 proctors) 7:20 a.m. Donahue Gym
Karin Bliman
Margit Roos-Collins
Leo Stegman
Soran Min

PM Government extended time (1 proctor) 11:45 a.m. (report to Donahue Gym)
John Abramson

2. Tuesday, May 4

AM: AP Spanish Language (4 proctors) 7:20 a.m. Donahue Gym
Lina Lamirande
Sandra Hunt
Jennifer Bates
Chalon Emmons

AM: IB English HL Paper (4 proctors) 8 a.m. (TBA)
Avril Saldanha
Susan Hunt
Andrea Altschuler
Muriel Lane

PM: Spanish Language extended time (1 proctor) 11:45 a.m. (report to Donahue Gym)
Diana Rossi

PM: AP Statistics (4 proctors) 11:45 a.m. Donahue Gym
Sandra Hunt
Jerry Long
Tricia Kerr
Marian Berges

3. Wednesday, May 5

AM: AP Calculus AB and BC (5 proctors) 7:20 a.m.
Stina Charles-Harris
Lina Lamirande
Nan Xiong
Karen Meryash
Joanna Moss

PM: IB Math (3 proctors) 11:45 a.m.
Joan Bradus
Katy Wilson
Anne Goldman

PM CALCULUS EXTENDED TIME (one proctor) 11:45 a.m.
Raissa Lerner

4. Thursday, May 6

AM: IB Math (3 proctors) 8 a.m.
Avril Saldanha
Chalon Emmons
Kim Zvik

AM: AP English Lit and Comp (4 proctors) 7:20 a.m.
Martha Crusius
Irene Sullenberger
Lina Lamirande
Martha Cain

PM: AP ENGLISH LIT AND COMP EXTENDED TIME 11:45 a.m.
Susan Brooks

5. Friday, May 7

AM: AP US History (5 proctors) 7:20 a.m.
Karin Bliman
John Losito
Debbie Potter
Leo Stegman
Carol Brownstein

PM: AP Studio Art (1 proctor) 11:45 p.m.
Maureen Katz

PM: US HISTORY EXTENDED TIME 11:45 a.m.
Christina Tarr

6. Monday, May 10

AM: AP Biology (3 proctors) 7:20 a.m.
Betsy Wahl
Maureen Goettlich
Karen Meryash

AM: AP Music Theory (1 proctor) 7:20 a.m.
Sandy Grayson

AM: IB English (4 proctors) 8 a.m.
Francie Sloan
Kaeleen Costa
Donna Ruotolo
David Harrington

PM: AP Physics (1 proctor) 11:45 a.m.
Anne Goldman

PM: AP BIOLOGY EXTENDED TIME (1 PROCTOR) 11:45 a.m.
Shawna Hartman Brotsky

7. Tuesday, May 11

AM: AP Chemistry (3 proctors) 7:20 a.m.
Margaret Carter
Susan Wolf
Carol Brownstein

AM: AP Environmental Science (7 proctors) 7:20 a.m.
Barb Altenberg
Lina Lamirande
Natasha Beery
Jennifer Bates
Manfred Zorn
Rebecca Herman
Tanya Grove

PM: IB History (4 proctors) 11:45 a.m.
Eric Broque
Trisha Brewster
Laura Morland
Claire Sherman

PM: AP environmental science Extended Time 11:45 a.m.
Teal Major

8. Wednesday, May 12

AM: AP English Language and Composition (6 proctors) 7:20 a.m.
Stina Charles-Harris
Marjorie Alvord
Bobbie Rose
Teresa Olson
Doria Mueller-Beilschmidt
Lynn Signorelli

AM: IB History (4 proctors) 8 a.m.
Margit Roos-Collins
Mary McDonald
Muriel Lane
Christa Rybczynski

PM: AP Art History (1 proctor) 11:45 a.m.
Natasha Beery

PM: IB Chemistry (1 proctor) 11:45 a.m.
Sandra Hunt

PM: AP English Language Extended Time (1 proctor) 11:45 a.m.
Stephanie McKown

9. Thursday, May 13

AM: AP Macroeconomics (5 proctors) 7:20 a.m.
Carol Hirth
Eve Hershcopf
Betsy Bigelow-Teller
Laurel Fletcher
Margaret Carter

AM: AP World History (1 proctor) 7:20 a.m.
Andrea Altschuler

AM: IB Chemistry (1 proctor) 8 a.m.
John Losito

PM: AP MACROECONOMICS Extended Time (1 proctor) 11:45 a.m.
Laura Morland

10. Friday, May 14

PM: IB German (1 proctor) 11:45 a.m.
Judy Dickman

11. Monday, May 17 11:45 a.m.

PM: IB Biology (1 proctor)
Barbara Oldershaw

12. Tuesday, May 18

AM: IB Biology (3 proctors) 8 a.m.
Susan Wolf
Eve Hershcopf
Lexine Alpert

13. Wednesday, May 19

AM:  IB Spanish (2 proctors) 8 a.m.
Liz Agnello
Stina Charles-Harris

PM:  IB Economics (3 Proctors) 11:45 a.m.
Liz Agnello
Marie Monrad
Joan Bradus

14. Thursday, May 20

AM: IB Economics, IB Latin 8 a.m.
Bettina Nicely Johnson
Sachi Kobori (Latin)
James Nagoette

PM: IB Math (1 proctor) 11:45 a.m.
Julie Wong

15. Friday, May 21

AM: IB Latin and Music (2 proctors) 8 a.m.
Debbie Potter
Gail Krowech

PM: IB Mandarin and Kiswahili (1 proctor) 11:45 a.m.
Cam Sutter

16. Monday May 24

AM: IB French (1 proctor) 8 a.m.
Barbara Oldershaw

C. Specific IB instructions
Berkeley High School
International Baccalaureate Program
Proctor Instructions – 2010 Onwards

Before the Test

Please read over the Conduct of Examinations, Notice to Candidates to be posted separately as an attachment.

Arrival

Please arrive 15  minutes (8 a.m.) before the beginning of the testing session. There are many tasks which need to be completed before the students enter the room, and we can ensure that we stay on time if proctors are there to help in the preparation.

Setting up Examination Room

Desks and tables will typically be set up before the session when you arrive, but as there are always unforeseen circumstances, we need to be ready to help set up as well.

   1. Examination cover sheets must be places at each testing place in the room.
   2. Scratch paper, two sheets of official IB examination paper, and a string tab (on necessary tests) needs to be placed at each seat.
   3. Students should be in alphabetical order by last name outside the exam room.

Entering the Examination Room

   1. When students enter they need to show their students ID with photo (class of 2011).
   2. Students must enter quietly and find their examination place. Students will sit in alphabetical order, with a few exceptions as noted by the coordinator.
   3. Students must put their backpack in the front of the room and not by their desk or table. Their cell phones must be turned off completely and never taken out during the exam.
   4. Students are allowed to bring water, pencils, pens, erasers, and a watch to their seat. On certain tests, students are allowed to have a calculator.

During the Examinations

1. The examination room must remain silent during the duration of the exam.

2. Proctors are allowed to escort one student at a time to the bathroom. Students are not allowed to take anything with them to the bathroom. Students are allowed to bring water, pencils, pens, erasers, and a watch to their seat. On certain tests, students are allowed to have a calculator.

3. Proctors need to circulate through the room, watching students to ensure that they are not looking at their neighbor's work. It is helpful to wear quiet shoes, so the students are not distracted.

4. Ensure that silent conditions are maintained. Students are only allowed to speak after they have raised their hand and a proctor is next to them.

5. Post the start and end time of the examination. Post when the students have 30 minutes left, 15 minutes left, and 5 minutes left.

6. During certain exams there is a 15 minutes break between two different parts. After the exam materials have been collected, students are allowed to talk during their break.

After the examination

1. Students must stay seated as exams are collected. Exams, extra paper, and reading booklets must all be collected.

2. Please check to make sure that students have used the tabs to connect all exam papers together, and that they have filled out their cover sheet.

3. Students are allowed to speak after all tests have been collected.

4. Exams need to be placed in numerical order based on the student session number.

5. The examination papers need to be placed into the designated envelopes, but not sealed.

Miscellaneous

Those of you who have proctored before know that the testing sessions can be tense and students can be nervous. Your job is to remind students of the rules - they often need gentle reminders. If a student refuses to cooperate, please contact me. I will be present in most of the exams myself, but there are times where I need to circulate between two places. In any emergency, proctors can contact me on my cell phone which will be posted in the testing session. Thank you so much for agreeing to help with exams this year. We absolutely couldn't do it without you!!! Please let me know if any of the above is unclear, or you have other questions that have not been addressed.

Sincerely,
Ashley Milton
IB Coordinator

Janet Huseby