[BHS Etree] BUSD: Superintendent Bill Huyett on Testing at BHS

BHS etree bhs at lists.lmi.net
Mon Apr 26 06:49:33 PDT 2010

Hello Berkeley High Families,

I am reaching out to high school parents to encourage your student to take
the California standards Test this week and to do their best.

The data collected from this test helps the BUSD monitor student progress,
identify areas of strength and weakness, as well as to evaluate various
programs and decisions.

This is important at all grade levels, and for the past four years the
California Department of Education (CDE) has not calculated an Academic
Performance Index API) for Berkeley High School due to low participation,
and this casts doubt and suspicion on the quality of our high school
programs. We worked hard to get there last year, but we missed it by just
a few students; and I know we can do better.
This is especially important now because failure to test enough students
can effect our accreditation review next year.

Join me in encouraging all of our students at all grade levels, not only
to participate in state testing but to give their best effort this year.
It is important for the students, schools, and the community to have this
information as we work together to improve the quality of education for
all of our students.

Sincerely yours,

William Huyett
Superintendent