[BHS Etree] EVENT: Film Showing of The Color of Fear - 3/11

BHS etree bhs at lists.lmi.net
Tue Mar 9 07:06:58 PST 2010

Do not reply to this e-mail, contact Beth Gerstein
[mailto:Beth-gerstein at comcast.net]

The Matthew and Celeste C. Sutton Film and Discussion Series
Berkeley Arts Magnet, 2015 Virginia St., Berkeley -- Opening a Discussion
about Race, Education and Berkeley
Documentary Film: The Color of Fear, Thursday March 11
Potluck dinner at 6:00 p.m., Movie at 6:30  --  free and open to everyone!

Film screening and facilitated discussion with Victor Lewis, a film
participant and an internationally recognized leader in the field of
anti-oppression, diversity work and alliance building.

In this award-winning race relations documentary, filmmaker Lee Mun Wah
examines the pain and anguish that racism has caused in the lives of North
American men of Asian, European, Latin and African descent.  Out of their
confrontations and struggles to understand and trust each other emerges an
emotional and insightful portrayal into the type of dialogue most of us
fear, but hope will happen sometime in our lifetime.

About the Matthew and Celeste C. Sutton film and discussion series:

This film and discussion series seeks to open a long overdue discussion
about race, education and the subsequent impact on Berkeley citizens' health
and welfare. Berkeley's achievement gap is among the highest in the state.
This gap also directly correlates to citizens' health and mortality rates.
Overall, children of color perform poorer in schools and die earlier than
their white counterparts, even across class lines. The films in this series
present a starting point to tease apart how concepts of race in America
structure the ways people think, how we shape our lives, and influence the
institutions we build. The following two presentations highlight the
consequences of these racial constructs within Berkeley schools and explore
the unique history of the city's institutions and community ethos that,
despite good intentions, have resulted in some of the educational, health
and social issues we face today.

Each event in the series is adult participation only. A potluck supper and
childcare for children 3 and up will be provided. For all events, located in
Berkeley Arts Magnet's auditorium (2015 Virginia Street), supper will begin
at 6:00 p.m., and the films and discussions at 6:30 p.m. This is an RSVP
event if you are interested in childcare.

Please RSVP to Beth Gerstein [mailto:beth-gerstein at comcast.net] or by
calling 510-548-2334.

Other Events in the Series:

Thursday, April 22  Presentation and Open Forum
The achievement Gap and Berkeley's 2020 Vision with Nicole Sanchez, Berkeley
Alliance and Cleavon Smith, Berkeley City College

Thursday, May 13  Presentation and Open Forum
Thinking Through our Past and into our Future: How Did We Get Here, and What
Can We Learn From It?  An Historical Perspective, with Charles Wollenberg,
Berkeley City College