[BHS etree] ADMIN: Healthy Kids Survey Notification

bhs at idiom.com bhs at idiom.com
Wed Jan 27 17:14:06 PST 2010

Please do not contact the e-tree; contact Richard Ng
[mailto:rng at berkeley.k12.ca.us]

The attached form will be distributed to all BHS students in their classes.
We are also posting it on the e-tree for your convenience.

California Healthy Kids Survey Notification and Withdrawal Form HIGH SCHOOL
- 2009-10 SCHOOL YEAR

January 13, 2010

Dear Parent or Guardian:

Your child is being asked to be a part of our school's California Healthy
Kids Survey (CHKS) sponsored by the California Department of Education. This
is a very important survey that will help promote better health among our
youth, improve the school learning environment and combat problems such as
drug abuse and violence. Please read this form for information about the
survey, and for instructions on how to withdraw your child. If you do not
want your child to complete the survey, you must notify your school.

Survey Content. The survey was developed by WestEd, a public, non-profit
educational institution.  It gathers information on developmental supports
provided to youth; school connectedness and barriers to learning; school
safety; and health-related concerns such as physical activity and
nutritional habits; alcohol, tobacco and other drug use; and risk of
depression and suicide; as well as questions regarding your child's sexual
activity, use of condoms or birth control, access to health care, use of and
thoughts on the school health center's medical and counseling services.  You
may examine the survey at Berkeley Unified School District's Evaluation and
Assessment Office located at 2134 Martin Luther King Jr. Way, Berkeley, CA
94704.  The results from this survey are compiled into district and
county-level CHKS Reports. To view a copy of your district's report go to
http://www.wested.org/chks/reports and type in the district name.

It is Voluntary. Your child does not have to take the survey. Students who
participate only have to answer the questions they want to answer and they
may stop taking it at any time.

It is Anonymous. No names will be recorded or attached to the survey forms
or data. The results will be made available for analysis only under strict
confidentiality controls.

Administration. The survey will be administered February 2-11, 2010. It will
take about one class period to complete (about 50 minutes) and will be
administered in your child's English class.

If you do not want your child to participate, you may contact:
    Berkeley High:        Maggie Heredia-Peltz, Vice Principal (510)
644-8744
    Berkeley Technology:  Victor Diaz, Principal               (510)
644-4595
    Independent Study:    Lori O'Connor, Administrator         (510)
644-8592

CHKS Withdrawal Form

By returning this form, I do not give permission for my child to be in the
California Healthy Kids Survey.

(Please Print) My child's name is:

Grade:

Parent Signature: