[BHS etree] MISC: Family Directories Explained

bhs at idiom.com bhs at idiom.com
Fri Jan 8 12:52:29 PST 2010

Please do not contact the e-tree; contact: Janet Huseby [mailto:jhuseby at pacbell.net]

In December we began distributing the BHS Family Directory with lukewarm success. This is an excellent resource and we hope to get one in the hands of each family.

The directory is divided in three sections:
1.Staff contact information. This section includes emails and phone numbers for members of the administration, clerical staff, lead teachers, teachers by department, English Learners Faculty, College and Career Center, directors, coordinators, and supervisors.

2. Support Resources and Services. This section has contact information and descriptions of the dozens of resource programs and services available to our students including the Student Learning Center and its free drop in tutorial schedule, Writer-Coach Connection, the Biotech Academy, Y Scholars, RISE, Teens Teaching Tobacco, the Health Center, BHS clubs, the PTSA, the Parent Resource Center, the City of Berkeley Youthworks, Student Court, Special Education, Workability, Vera Casey Teen Parenting Program, Disability Rights Education and Defense Fund and MORE.

3. The third section includes the names and contact information of the students who turned in signed release forms.

The directory is clearly a valuable resource--especially for parents and guardians. The trick is to get it in your hands. We tried passing them out at lunch time. Many if not most students declined to pick up the directories. We will continue to pass out periodically at lunch time. Meanwhile, we have directories at the front desk and we plan to pass them out at as many evening events as possible. Please have your child come pick up a directory at the front desk or pick one up yourself!