[BHS etree] ADMIN: INCOMING 9TH graders MORE details

bhs at idiom.com bhs at idiom.com
Thu Jan 7 21:59:57 PST 2010

Please do not contact the e-tree; contact Janet Huseby [mailto:jhuseby at pacbell.net]

In my haste to disseminate the important dates for incoming families I did not adequately explain the process for enrolling at Berkeley High School. Below, I have added information in all caps.

1. Berkeley High School Information Night for incoming families. Information Night for all incoming 9th grade families will take place on Wednesday, February 17 at 7 p.m. in the Berkeley Community Theater on the Berkeley High School campus. At Information Night 2010 representatives from the five small schools and the school’s two programs as well as department heads will make presentations or be available to answer questions. Information Night is an essential first step in the process of signing up for classes for the fall of 2010 AND DECIDING HOW TO RANK PREFERENCES FOR SMALL LEARNING COMMUNITIES OF WHICH THERE ARE SEVEN - FIVE SMALL SCHOOLS AND TWO LARGER PROGRAMS. All students, parents, and guardians should plan on attending. Spanish translation will be available.

2. Families coming from King, Longfellow, and Willard DO NOT have to register their children - they are automatically rolled over into the BHS system. OUR MIDDLE SCHOOL STUDENTS, HOWEVER, MUST SIGN UP FOR CLASSES. There will be evening meetings for parents and guardians on the following nights at each school: Willard, Feb. 23; King, March 2; Longfellow, March 9. Spanish translation will be available. THE MIDDLE SCHOOL EVENING MEETINGS WILL FEATURE A VICE PRINCIPAL AND COUNSELORS. THEY ARE AN OPPORTUNITY FOR PARENTS TO ASK QUESTIONS ABOUT THE PROCESS, REQUIREMENTS, THE LOTTERY, ETC. THE COUNSELORS WILL ALSO MAKE PRESENTATIONS TO THE MIDDLE SCHOOL STUDENTS DURING THE DAY. FOLLOWING BOTH PRESENTATIONS, STUDENTS from King, Longfellow and Willard will register for BHS COURSES ON LINE AT THEIR MIDDLE SCHOOL DURING THE DAY and RANK THEIR small learning community preferences. BHS WILL PRINT UP THE STUDENTS' CHOICES AND MAIL THEM HOME FOR FINAL PARENTAL INPUT
 BEFORE THE LOTTERY IS RUN.

3. Families coming from non BUSD feeder schools should register with student services at 1835 Allston Way between Feb. 9 and Feb. 12. WE HAVE NOT YET FIGURED OUT IF THE REGISTRATION WILL TAKE PLACE AT BHS OR AT THE DISTRICT OFFICES. IN ADDITION, THE PRELIMINARY FORMS WHICH WILL BE POSTED ON LINE HAVE NOT YET BEEN POSTED. FAMILIES CAN, HOWEVER, BEGIN THE PROCESS OF GATHERING THREE PROOFS OF RESIDENCY, A BIRTH CERTIFICATE OR PASSPORT AND LAST SEMESTER'S REPORT CARD. Course registration for families coming into the district will take place in the evening on March 1 and March 8 at Berkeley High School. STUDENTS MUST ALREADY BE ENROLLED AT BHS IN ORDER TO SIGN UP FOR CLASSES. PARENTS AND STUDENTS WILL BOTH ATTEND THIS EVENING. FOLLOWING A PRESENTATION BY A VICE PRINCIPAL AND COUNSELORS, STUDENTS will GO TO A COMPUTER LAB TO SIGN UP FOR BHS COURSES ONLINE and indicate their small learning community preferences. BHS WILL PRINT UP THE STUDENTS' CHOICES AND MAIL
 THEM HOME FOR FINAL PARENTAL INPUT BEFORE THE LOTTERY IS RUN.

4. THE GOAL IS TO LET STUDENTS KNOW OF THEIR SMALLER LEARNING COMMUNITY PLACEMENT BEFORE THE END OF THE YEAR. WITH LUCK AND HARD WORK, THAT WILL HAPPEN.

5. Please be aware parking for events that take place at Berkeley High School is difficult and events do start on time.

We are looking forward to welcoming you and your child to high school!

6. IF YOU CANNOT ATTEND INFORMATION NIGHT YOU SHOULD ASK A FRIEND TO PICK UP A COURSE CATALOG AND ANY OTHER INFORMATION AVAILABLE. IF YOU HAVE NO FRIENDS, THE MATERIAL WILL BE AVAILABLE AT THE FRONT DESK AFTER THE 17TH OF FEBRUARY. WE WILL NOT HAVE A SECOND OR MAKEUP INFORMATION NIGHT, BUT AS ALWAYS, THE BEST INFORMATION OFTEN COMES FROM STUDENTS AND PARENTS CURRENTLY ENROLLED OR INVOLVED IN THE SMALLER LEARNING COMMUNITIES. TALK TO THEM. IF YOU HAVE MORE QUESTIONS, CONTACT Janet Huseby our volunteer coordinator at jhuseby at pacgbell.net I will do my best to help you.

Janet Huseby
BHS Volunteer Coordinator
jhuseby at pacbell.net
(510) 527-1130