[BHS etree] BULLETIN: Student Daily Bulletin, Wed. 12/4
bhs at idiom.com
bhs at idiom.com
Thu Dec 3 21:58:12 PST 2009
STUDENT DAILY BULLETIN
Dec. 4, 2009
*Indicates new or updated item
1. IMPORTANT DATES
Final exams are January 27, 28, and 29th /
Fall semester ends January 29th /
Semester Break and Staff Development is February 1st /
Spring Semester starts February 2nd
2. December BART tickets are in. Please pick up your tickets in room D224
at lunchtime only!
3. Around half of the people who acquire HIV worldwide become infected
before they turn 25. In 2007 over 2.6 million people were newly infected by
HIV. The Berkeley High Health Center will be sponsoring a school wide event
on Friday December 4th for World AIDS Day. Come by the Donahue Gym from 8:30
to 12:15, there will be interactive displays, community organizations and
student groups with information about AIDS/HIV. There will also be a
traveling display of the AIDS Memorial Quilts and a chance for you to add
you own piece to the BHS quilts. Please stop by to support HIV/AIDS
4. Attention BHS students and staff: Canned food drive to get cans for the
Holiday Meal. Please be generous and bring as many cans as you can to your
2nd period classes. Place in the crates and winning class gets a party.
Please donate cans. Holiday meal is December 12th.
5. H1N1 VACCINATION - NEXT WEEK, H1N1 vaccination clinic will be offered to
students on Tuesday, December 8th and Wednesday, December 9th from periods
1-6. Getting this vaccine will help protect you from getting the H1N1
virus. Students will be taken from their History class on either Tuesday or
Wednesday by a parent volunteer, and will be brought to the community
theater where the vaccinations will be given. Students should bring their
forms to the vaccine clinic. Do not turn them in beforehand. There will be
no nasal flu mist available. Only shots.
6. The Health Center will be closed on Monday, December 7th until 2pm.
Health Center staff will be attending a mandatory Public Health training.
If there is a medical emergency before 2 pm, please call 911. We apologize
for any inconveniences this may cause. Thank you for your assistance.
*1. Students interested in forming a student chapter of Lions Club should
come to G200 at lunch on Friday. Lions Club is one of the oldest Community
Service organizations in the world.
2. New club forming! Minorities for Change. Not sure if you have enough
extracurricular activities on your resume? Minorities for Change focuses on
community projects by the students of BHS and Leadership development. Be on
the lookout for the first meeting Dec. 7th after school in Room A105.
3. Do you like math? Do you want to boost your college application? Come to
Math teams Fridays at lunch in H205. First competition is December 16th.
Everyone is welcome, regardless of your math level.
4. If you need tutoring or tutoring community service hours, come to Bridge
the gap on Wednesdays at lunch in Ms. Trahans room (C311). Bridge the Gap
is a tutoring club that provides an easy way for students to get tutoring
hours. You dont need to sign up, just come. Officer positions for tutors
are still available, first come, first serve.
1. The wrestling team is looking for freshman and sophomores who still want
to participate in a winter sport. It's not too late to join. The last day to
join the team will be on Monday December 7th. Come to the Wrestling Room in
the Old Gym at 4 Thursday, Friday or Monday to practice. Contact: Coach
Tcruz, galexico at hotmail.com
SENIOR /JUNIOR SECTION
1. Final day for senior portraits is December 4th. No additional dates
after this week. Make your appointment online at www.abcschoolportraits.com
or call 707-297-7304.
1. Come see the debut of the 2009-10 BHS Jazz Ensemble at its Fall Concert
on Friday, December 4, 2009. Beginning at 7pm at King Middle School
Auditorium. Admission is free for all BHS Students and staff. Snacks, soft
drink and the new BHS Jazz t-shirt are available for sale. Hear these
talented musicians play, and support BHS Jazz.
2. Open Mic - Hip Hop, Poetry, Spoken Word, and singing on Friday, December
4th from 6-9 pm (for ages 12-18). Takes place at Frances Albrier Community
Center - 2800 Park St.
3. Attention Berkeley High, we need to talk about a problem. It's called
empathy, it happens. To learn more, come see the fall play Comic Potential,
presented by BHS Drama and shift Theatre. Find out what happens when a
writer falls in love with a robot! Shows are on December 4th, 5th, 11th, and
12th at 7pm in the Community Theater.
More information about the BHS