[BHS etree] ADMIN: Mr. Slemp reflects on SGC vote against trimester system

bhs at idiom.com bhs at idiom.com
Wed Nov 18 10:00:56 PST 2009

PLEASE do not reply to this email, contact Janet Huseby
[mailto:jhuseby at pacbell.net]

Mr. Slemp wrote the following letter to the staff at Berkeley High school
following Monday's vote to not move forward on on the proposed Trimester
system. A two thirds majority was required. The vote lost by one.

Dear folks,

I am sure many of you have heard the results of Monday's School Governance
Council meeting, but I thought I should get this out to you and discuss next
steps.

First of all, I would like to thank all of those people who worked so hard
in such a committed manner on our Schedule Committee.  Their efforts have
really helped us in our process.

I would also like to thank the members of School Governance Council for
their commitment to an equity based stance and to wise, thoughtful decision
making.

At our meeting yesterday, after considering all of the issues, the Council
decided to not move forward with a trimester schedule at this time.  Some of
the issues involved in this decision were:

-Concerns about the reduction of individual class time.
-Loss of Science labs.
-A variety of implementation issues.
-Concerns about our capacity to make these kinds of changes.
-Questions about if this strategy as the best way to provide intervention to
improve the equity gap.

Several of you today have asked me if I was disappointed or hurt.  On the
contrary, I thought the discussion was helpful and I believe that any
breakdown like this only provides the opportunity for a breakthrough in our
work with all students.  I am looking forward to the next steps in the
process.

I am asking School Governance Council to meet from 4 to 8 on Thursday,
December 3 to continue our discussions and reach a decision.  Some of the
key issues that i will ask the group to discuss are:

-Are we committed to our efforts to eliminate the equity gap?
-Do we want to implement an advisory program?
-Do we want to continue our current traditional 6 period day schedule?
-Do we want an alternative schedule and if so, what schedule best meets the
Board goals and the needs of our students?
-How can we best balance the needs of all small learning communities?
-How can we achieve a breakthrough in our efforts?

My hope is that we end this meeting with a decision on a proposal to take to
the School Board on December 9 for a Board decision on December 16.

Again, I want to thank our School Governance Council for their hard work to
make thoughtful decisions.  I believe that where we are will allow us to, in
an even more thoughtful way, move forward with a clearer focus toward a
better decision for implementation next year.

What a continuing joy it is to work with all of you.

Jim

Jim Slemp
Principal
Berkeley High School