[BHS etree] BULLETIN: Corrected - Student Daily Bulletin, Tuesday, Sept. 15

bhs at idiom.com bhs at idiom.com
Mon Sep 14 17:59:57 PDT 2009

Our apologies--the Student Daily Bulletin was sent out under an incorrect
date.  Below is the correct Bulletin with important announcements for
Tuesday, September 15!

STUDENT DAILY BULLETIN
September 15, 2009

*Indicates new or updated item

ADMINISTRATION

*1. Attention students and staff:  If you still need to take your photo ID,
please go to the Counseling Center before school and at lunch on Wednesday
and Thursday.  You can have your photo taken by Ms. Cooks.

*2. Purchase your PE clothes at the PE office in the old gym before school
and after school and during lunch.  T-shirts are $10 and sweatpants are
$15.

3. Parents...want to learn how to go on our new Powerschool program? We will
give you Powerschool log-ins and access to the system at Back-to School
night. Please be patient until then. You will be able to log on and see your
child's attendance, grades, homework assignments and more. Back-to–School
night is October 1, 2009.

4. Yearbooks - Are on sale at myyear.com for $60 until September 25th then
they go up to $70.  Buy soon, they don't go down.

5. Students: BART tickets are in for September, please pick up your tickets
in room D224 at lunchtime.

SPORTS

*1.  Log on KTVU.com and VOTE FOR Berkeley High to be the game of the week
this Friday when they play Castro Valley.  Support your team, and help them
win a chance to be on Channel Two Sports football.

CLUBS

*1. Leadership meeting:  Sophomores will meet on Sept. 15th.  Committee
leaders please be present!  We need to see you!

*2. La Raza club will be making an event for Sept. 16th, Mexican
Independence Day.  There will be food and drinks sold and a performance by a
Mexican Folkloric Dance group.  Please support La Raza.  All events will
take place on the Senior Steps.

*3. Are you a CHESS NUT?  Would you like to improve your chess skills and
have fun at the same time?  Come to PORTABLE 7 on Thursdays (Starting Sept.
17th) from 3:30 to 4:45 pm to make your move!  Chess is a hip, sexy,
international game with endless benefits that include improved academic
success.  Don't miss out.

*4. Do you need an extra thing to put on your college application?  Do you
have to or want to do community service?  Are you interested in traveling to
developing countries to build a school?  Then join Build On!  To get more
information, come to our first meeting on Tuesday at lunch in room D218.
There will be food.  See you then!!!

*5. Sophomores, Juniors and Seniors.  Come out to join the California
Scholarship Federation, Berkeley High School's Honor Society.  CSF is a
statewide organization that recognizes select high school students for high
standards of a scholarship. Service and citizenship.  Pick up an application
in the College/Career Center and turn it in before the 25th to join.

*6. If you are interested in learning more about current events, getting
active in your community, and advocating  for issues that are important to
you, then come to the first meeting of Berkeley High's Junior State chapter
this Wednesday at lunch in C310.  It looks great for college and we will
have food!

*7. Earphone English club- in C116 at lunch Wednesdays, Sept. 16th.  Come
help us plan for the year.  Hang out with friends, find great books to
listen to, and earn extra credit in English.  Bring your lunch and we will
bring the cookies.

*8. If you are interested in joining the Berkeley High Jacket, please come
to room C213 at 7;30 am on Wednesday morning.  Positions are open to all BHS
students and no experience is necessary!  Be a part of the paper that
reaches thousands of people.

*9 Chorus Club: Preliminary Meetings -- It's time to meet, sing, vote for
meeting times, help choose the type of music you'd like to sing, and eat
some delicious free snacks. THIS TUESDAY (the 15th) AND NEXT TUESDAY (the
22nd) IN A201 (the band room) AT LUNCH

JOBS

*1.  Job Application Deadline Changed:  Berkeley Public Library is hiring
seven (7) students to work at the Central library and branches. These jobs
involve assisting Teen Services librarians in a variety of tasks and working
with library materials.  Salary: $10/hour.  The application period runs from
Sept. 8 through Sept. 21, 2009. Pick up and return the completed
applications to the 2nd floor Reference Desk at the Central Library.  You
must be at least 16 years old.  Successful applicants can expect to begin
work in mid-October.  For more info, call Kay at 510 981-6135 or email
bplteens at ci.berkeley.ca.us.

SENIOR/JUNIOR SECTION

*COLLEGE VISITS:

TUESDAY, Sept 15, 2009
 8:27 am   U of Puget Sound (WA)
 9:31 am   Drew University (NJ)
10:40 am   West Point
12:24 pm   Mt. Holyoke (MA)
 1:28 pm   Portland State (OR)
 2:32 pm   Skidmore College

WEDNESDAY, Sept. 16, 2009
10:40 am   Mills College
12:24 pm   Franklin College (Switzerland)
 1:28 pm   Northeastern (MA)
 2:32 pm   Bucknell (PA)

FOR ALL STUDENTS

1. Students who need fee waivers: We have ACT fee waivers.  We do not have
SAT fee waivers.  We will make an announcement when we receive the SAT fee
waivers.  See Ms. Price or Ms Sandberg before or after school if you need a
fee waiver for the ACT.

EVENTS/PERFORMANCES

*1. Berkeley High families, Staff, Teachers, and Administrators:  You are
invited to the 2nd Annual BUSD Family Reunion, Saturday, September 19th at
Rosa Parks School.  The address is 920 Allston Way in Berkeley.  The event
begins at 11:00am and ends at 3:00 pm.  Please come out and support and
greet other BHS and BUSD families.  Enjoy a fun filled day with tons of fun,
'free food' and entertainment!  Hope to see you there!