[BHS etree] PTSA: Meeting Date Changed To Sept. 22

bhs at idiom.com bhs at idiom.com
Tue Sep 8 17:30:01 PDT 2009

PLEASE do not reply to this email, contact Mark van Krieken
[mailto:markvk4 at comcast.net]

The big Berkeley High PTSA meeting, originally scheduled for September 17th,
has been changed to Tuesday, September 22nd due to the middle schools
holding their back-to-school nights on the 17th.  We want to make sure that
as many of our families who are also middle school families, have the
ability to attend both evenings.  It will still be held in the Little
Theater from 7 to 9 PM.

For those parents who are planning to (or considering to) run for School
Governance Council (SGC) or the Berkeley Schools Excellence Project (BSEP),
the deadline for submitting personal statements has been moved back as well
to Wednesday, September 16th.  The statements will be posted on the PTSA
website on Friday, September 18th, in time for everyone to review them
before the elections at the Tuesday, September 22nd PTSA meeting.

Elections Recap:

There are three organizations for which we will be holding elections.

*	School Governance Council (SGC) - The SGC decides questions of
school policy.  From a policy standpoint, this is the most powerful
committee at Berkeley High.  During the past year, the SGC dealt with a wide
range of program proposals aimed at addressing the achievement gap
*	Berkeley Schools Excellence Project (BSEP) - The BSEP committee
determines how the school will spend its enrichment money.  In light of the
State's recent cuts to education, this committee's decisions become even
more important.
*	The PTSA -- The PTSA facilitates a variety of forms of communication
between the high school and the parent/guardian community, puts various
committees together to advocate for students and their families, and hosts a
variety of forums on topics of interest to the Berkeley High community.

These committees and organizations are among the most meaningful ways to get
involved at Berkeley High, and we encourage all parents who are interested
in getting involved to consider running.  If you would like to be on the
ballot, please submit a short personal statement (no more than 200 words) to
PTSA President Mark van Krieken at markvk4 at comcast.net
<mailto:markvk4 at comcast.net> .  Explain what office you are running for and
why you are interested in serving in this position. Please include your
phone number and address so that the PTSA can contact you; this information
will not be made public.  Alternatively, you may mail or hand-deliver your
statement to BHS PTSA, 1980 Allston Way, Berkeley, CA 94704, Attn:
Elections.  Please also include your neighborhood category (if known) and
the program(s) or school(s) at Berkeley High in which your child or children
are enrolled.

For more information on each of these committees/organizations, please feel
free to contact Allen King, BSEP Committee Chair at allenk at mindspring.com
<mailto:allenk at mindspring.com>  or 510-501-3307; Denise Abrams, SGC parent
member at dabrams at kazanlaw.com <mailto:dabrams at kazanlaw.com>  or 735-7963;
and Mark van Krieken, PTSA President at markvk4 at comcast.net