[BHS etree] BIHS: 9th Grade Picnic, Aug. 29 + Start of school

bhs at idiom.com bhs at idiom.com
Sat Aug 22 12:33:08 PDT 2009

Please do not reply to this email, for more information, contact: Matt Meyer
at  <mailto:mmeyer at berkeley.k12.ca.us> mmeyer at berkeley.k12.ca.us or Miranda
Thorman at  <mailto:mthorman at berkeley.k12.ca.us>
mthorman at berkeley.k12.ca.us.

Welcome BIHS Freshmen:

We hope you have had a happy and restful summer. To celebrate the beginning
of our fourth year and to welcome the class of 2013 we invite you to join us
on Saturday, August 29, for an informative but casual picnic on the BHS
Campus Green (just north of the Donahue Gym and west of the swimming pool)
between 1 and 3 pm.  There will be planned activities for students to get to
know one another and we will provide an overview of what Berkeley
International High School (BIHS) is all about.  Many teachers will be
present to introduce themselves to students, and parents will have the
opportunity to learn how they can become involved in the Parent Action Group
(PAG) and various program committees.

This is a potluck, so please check for what you should bring based on your
last name and bring enough for 4 to 8 people.

A - F:  Drinks
G - M:  Napkins, plates, utensils, cups (also feel free to bring a food item
if you prefer)
N - Z:  Food item  (snacks, desserts, veggies, dishes)

Looking ahead to the school year, we hope that students' summer reading is
going well.  Two years ago BIHS launched an ambitious reading program for
ninth grade.  The centerpiece of the program is independent reading.  We
will be using books students have read as we begin our school year, to refer
to in discussions about literary element and narrative structure.  We will
have some copies of Haroun and the Sea of Stories at the picnic in case your
student hasn't picked one up yet.

In addition, for the first day of school students should come prepared with:

- A 2-inch or bigger three ring binder with dividers
- Lined notebook paper
- Writing journal (anything small but sturdy)
- Plenty of pens and pencils
- The Berkeley High School 2009-2010 Planner (it will be distributed on
registration day and cost $3)

If you have any questions you may contact Lead Teachers Matt Meyer at