[BHS etree] ADMIN: Registration, third call for help and Beginning of the Year News

bhs at idiom.com bhs at idiom.com
Fri Aug 21 07:34:11 PDT 2009

Please do not reply to this email, for more information, contact Janet
Huseby,  <mailto:jhuseby at pacbell.net> jhuseby at pacbell.net

Registration is almost here!  Below you will see a last call for help,  a
registration update (what to expect, what to bring), other beginning of the
year news.

1. Volunteer update. Almost as bad as not enough volunteers, are too many.
I am doing my best to estimate. We will be collecting and alphabetizing
forms, laminating, handing our schedules, selling organizers, checking out
textbooks and assigning lockers. By some counts we could use 23 people each
shift.  I think 20 looks very good.  Ten is definitely too few.  If you are
free Wednesday morning, Thursday morning or afternoon and Friday makeup day,
AND/Or Monday, August 31, please let me know (jhuseby at pacbell.net).  For
actual counts of volunteers see below.

a. Monday, August 24, Freshmen:

18 volunteers in am, 20 in pm with several coming in at 9 and 1 to see if we
need more help.

b. Tuesday, August 25, Sophomores:

17 volunteers in a.m., 18 in p.m. with several, as above, coming to see if
we are okay.

c. Wednesday, August 26, Juniors:

16 in a.m., 20 in p.m.

d. Thursday, August 27, Seniors:

16 in a.m. 10 in p.m. (we really need more help!)

e. Friday, Makeup Day:

7 in a.m., 5 in p.m. (I don't know how many people are coming.

f. Monday, August 31 (not a real makeup day but.I suspect there will be
quite a few kids coming through.  I know we will need help in the Textbook
room, with laminating, collecting forms, etc.  If you can help, please let
me know at jhuseby at pacbell.net. For more on this day, see #8.

2. During registration students report to the Jacket Gym at the time
indicated on the mailing label of their summer packet-which also contains
each students; ID number, be sure to bring it! Freshmen come in three
batches (8:30, 10:00 and 1). Everyone else is staggered throughout the day
in order to minimize lines.

3. Students should bring their ID number which is on the summer packet
envelope.  If you have already tossed the envelope, do not panic, we will
have a list. Students should also bring $3 for the required organizer, money
for PE clothes or wearables, should they be purchasing any, all forms from
the summer mailing filled out.

3. The ID pictures are FREE.  If a student wants to have a traditional
"school picture" taken, they should fill out the ABC Harrell forms and bring
the amount of money indicated on the form. Senior pictures are not taken
during registration. Watch the etree for information about senior pictures.

4. Lockers are FREE but students must bring their own lock.

5. Parents do not have to come with their students.  But, if parents wish to
come, we will have chairs for them in the Jacket Gym.

6. Free and reduced lunch forms will be available during registration.
Families must fill out a new form every year.

7. Students may only submit schedule changes during the official
registration week: August 24-28.  Students who cannot attend should arrange
to have a proxy pick up their schedule to check and make sure there are no
mistakes.  Proxies should have a note from the missing student's parent or
guardian.  As always, schedule changes are made only in cases where the
school has made a mistake. Counselors will be available during registration
to talk to students.

8. If students miss registration week, they may come on Monday, August 31 to
have their picture taken, pick up their schedule, get a locker and check out
textbooks.  They will not be able to see a counselor or hand in a schedule
change form.  This is not a regular makeup day.  That takes place on Friday,
August 28.  Monday is the teachers' day for pictures. There will be long
lines for students as teachers have priority, but it is better than waiting
for the first day of school.

9. Math Placement Test-Wednesday, August 26, 2:00 p.m. Incoming 9th graders
who registered in Berkeley Unified after April 20th and did not take the
mandatory math placement exam will need to take it on Wednesday, August
26th.  This exam will be used to place students in honors or recommend
students for a support class.  The exam will take place in room H303 at 2
p.m. on August 26th. Calculators will not be used and students need bring
only themselves. Enter through the D-building at the corner of Allston Way
and Milvia St. While most 9th graders will have picked up their schedules
prior to the exam (orientation/registration is August 24), counselors will
automatically adjust the schedules of those students who get into honors,
without any need for further action by the student.

Questions should be directed to co-lead teacher Amy Burke at
<mailto:Amy_Burke at berkeley.k12.ca.us>  Amy_Burke at berkeley.k12.ca.us.

10. If you are new to Berkeley High School, do not worry.  It all starts to
make sense once you and your student get going!

Janet Huseby

BHS Volunteer Coordinator

jhuseby at pacbell.net

(510) 527-1130