[BHS etree] BUSD: Berkeley Health Dept Update on H1N1 (Swine) Flu - June2009

bhs at idiom.com bhs at idiom.com
Tue Jun 9 10:56:21 PDT 2009

PLEASE DO NOT REPLY to the etree, contact City of Berkeley Public Health
Division - (510) 981-2489

H1N1 (Swine) Flu Information for Berkeley Parents

Updated June 5, 2009
Current Status of H1N1 in the Berkeley Community

H1N1 is now widespread in the Bay Area community, including Berkeley.

While there is no a reason for alarm, the Berkeley Public Health Division
stresses the need for parents to pay close attention for influenza-like
illness (fever with cough or fever with a sore throat) in children. During
the recent H1N1 flu outbreak, the Public Health Division worked closely with
the school district, and in the early weeks of the outbreak, we identified
suspected cases of the flu at Malcolm X elementary school.  We took the
cautious approach recommended by the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) and
dismissed classes at the school, in order to slow the spread of this new
flu.  Fortunately, this flu has been relatively mild and we were able to
resume classes after two days.

This new H1N1 virus has spread without regard for borders, race, or
ethnicity.  We are concerned about the possible return of the virus in the
fall, possibly causing more severe illness.  As we learn more about the H1N1
flu virus, we will adapt our response to best protect our community.

BUSD and the City Public Health Division will continue working together to
keep students, staff, and families healthy and informed.  Please check the
Public Health website regularly for up-to-date information.

We have all been saddened to hear of the recent death of a Contra Costa
County child with H1N1 infection (http://cchealth.org/topics/swine_flu/).

Even seasonal flu causes deaths every year, including deaths in children.

Because H1N1 is so widespread, closing schools at this time would not be an
effective strategy to prevent the spread of virus.  Everyone is urged to
continue following the usual precautions to reduce the spread of flu germs,
stay home when sick, and get the seasonal flu vaccine when it is available.
There is no vaccine for H1N1 at this time, but we will provide updated
information when one becomes available.

All BUSD students should attend school and school functions as usual, unless
they are sick.

Children should be taken for emergency medical care right away if they have
these warning signs:
1) Fast or troubled breathing; 2) bluish skin color; 3) not drinking enough
fluids; 4)  not waking up or not interacting; 5) being so irritable that the
child does not want to be held; 6) Flu-like symptoms improve but then return
with fever and worse cough; 7) Fever with a rash

Adults should get emergency medical care right away if they have:
1) trouble breathing or shortness of breath; 2) pain or pressure in the
chest or abdomen; 3) sudden dizziness; 4) confusion; 5) severe or continuing
vomiting

For more information:

* Call the city at 510-981-CITY (2489) or 510-981-5300, or Swine Flu (H1N1)
Hotline for the Public (1-888-865-0564).  This is a toll-free H1N1 hotline
in English and Spanish. Assistance in other languages is also available.
The hotline is operational Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m., and
on weekends from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.

* See the following websites:
City of Berkeley Health and Human Services:
http://www.ci.berkeley.ca.us/Home.aspx
California Department of Public Health:
http://www.cdph.ca.gov/HealthInfo/news/Pages/SwineFluLndingPg042409.aspx
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC):
http://www.cdc.gov/flu/swine/investigation.htm

Mark A. Coplan
Public Information Officer, BUSD
510-644-6320 Cell: 510-472-3811