[BHS etree] ADMIN: A word from Principal Slemp

bhs at idiom.com bhs at idiom.com
Wed Jun 3 14:21:41 PDT 2009

Please do not reply to the e-tree; please contact Janet Huseby
jhuseby at pacbell.net

The Berkeley High Jacket recently reported that some students from Yemen have experienced harassment at Berkeley High. Members of the Berkeley High staff have been aware of this problem and are working with the students. The Jacket article followed on the heels of another incident in which racially derogatory remarks were posted on Facebook. In this case as well, the administration has been working with the students. In both cases Facebook was involved.

The two situations are very upsetting to our administration, staff and the vast majority of our students. We at Berkeley High care deeply about treating all members of our community with dignity and respect. Racial and cultural slurs and insults are both illegal and will not be accepted at Berkeley High School. Parents, please take a moment to talk to your children about the importance of this issue in particular the nature of malicious remarks posted on Facebook and on cell phones which spread rapidly. They are not acceptable.

Jim Slemp
Principal
Berkeley High