[BHS etree] VOLUNTEERS: Book room needs help - June 6, 9,10,11

bhs at idiom.com bhs at idiom.com
Thu May 28 06:41:51 PDT 2009

PLEASE DO NOT REPLY to the etree, contact Robert Stiles
[mailto:rstiles at berkeley.k12.ca.us]

Our textbook manager Robert Stiles has two upcoming important projects:

On Saturday June 6 he needs several pickups or vans and many hands to cart
away discarded textbooks in order to make room for current books.  On June,
9, 10 and 11 he needs volunteers to help collect and process textbooks which
will be turned in before students exams.

1. Book Hauling. Saturday, June 6.  Robert Stiles writes: .. I've been
desperately trying to get a fair amount of old textbooks out of the book
room. One place will come pick them up for free, but they need to be on a
pallet in boxes, shrink wrapped, etc but this isn't possible with our space
and manpower available. OK my second thought was get City of Berkeley to
bring a bin that I could fill up and they'd haul away, but that's 500 bucks!
So, where I am now...  There is a recycling center on 2nd / Gilman that has
huge bins for paper.  I am hoping some parents would be willing to help haul
away old workbooks / textbooks for us? Especially any Dads with trucks who
have been just waiting for such an opportunity...  I am hoping we can
accomplish this task on Saturday morning, June 6 from 10am to 12.  Please
contact me if you can help.

2. Book Collecting. Every year Berkeley High loses thousands and thousands
of dollars due to lost and damaged textbooks.   In the past our book budget
has been $300,000 annually. Roughly a third was devoted to replacing
textbooks: science books which cost up to $150, Math books which clock in at
$90, history books which can go for $100.  We are talking big bucks!  And,
to make it worse, this year we have no money in our budget for replacing
lost text books.  It is more important than ever that we collect every book
possible. But we need your help.

We are asking for four volunteers a shift with three shifts a day for three
days Tuesday though Thursday, June 9, 10, and 11  The shifts are  10 to
11:30, 11:30 to 1 and 1 to 2:30.   Please let Robert know when you can come
help (and, if it works take more than one shift!).  Robert's email is
rstiles at berkeley.k12.ca.us