[BHS etree] VOLUNTEERS: Famous writer to speak/ ushers needed May 21

bhs at idiom.com bhs at idiom.com
Thu May 14 10:08:28 PDT 2009

PLEASE DO NOT REPLY to the etree, contact Alexandra Provence
<mailto:Alexandra_Provence at berkeley.k12.ca.us>

On Thursday,  May 21 the Berkeley High Library is sponsoring a talk by
renowned author Sharon Drape.  Ushers are needed from  2:10-3:30 in the
Little Theater. Ushers will direct classes to their seats, and just be a
visible adult presence.

Sharon Draper is a young adult author who many kids first discovered in
middle school, when they read her Hazelwood High trilogy, beginning with
Tears of a Tiger.  One of her most recent titles, Copper Sun, is a
historical novel detailing the struggles of a young woman caught up in the
African slave trade. In fact, this title is the winner of the 2007 Corretta
Scott King Award. For our students to be able to interact with an author who
is so thorough in her research, so thoughtful about her writing, and so
inspirational about life is an opportunity that will resonate with all of us
for years. Ms. Draper's book characters are predominantly African American,
with most titles addressing current issues.

Draper is a very dynamic speaker, and is sought after by libraries and
schools for presentations.  We think this will be a wonderful experience for
our students. If you can help, please contact Librarian Alexandra Provence
at Alexandra_Provence at berkeley.k12.ca.us