[BHS etree] AHA: Parent Meeting - May 5

bhs at idiom.com bhs at idiom.com
Fri May 1 13:44:53 PDT 2009

PLEASE DO NOT REPLY to the etree, contact Cindy Tsai Schultz
[mailto:cindystsai at gmail.com]

Dear AHA parent/guardian community,

The end of the school year is nigh.  It,s hard to believe, but there,s less
than two months left of the school year.

Thank you:  As the parent council, we,d like to extend a big thank you to
AHA! staff/teachers and parents for your commitment and support to each of
the AHA! kids and to public education.  It's been a interesting ride.  We,d
also like to say thank you for your patience this year.  As a parent council
we're new learning the ropes (three out of four parent council members were
brand spanking new).  And with all transitions, there were bumps along the
way but great learning experiences: 1) we need to meet more regularly and
set up predictable parent meeting dates, 2) we need to improve the back and
forth communication between AHA staff/teachers and the parent community, and
3) we need to improve the outreach to all AHA parents/guardians.  We have
high hopes and big plans for next year and we need you!

Parent Meeting - May 5, from 6:00-8:00. Don't start packing your vacation
bags yet, we have one more parent meeting and we need your attendance. If
you can't make it, you can still get involved!  We've got two major AHA!
celebrations: 1) graduation and 2) end-of-year community celebration and new
family welcome.

1) Graduation - June 3rd from 5:00-8:00pm.  Calling all junior families, we
need you.  The tradition is that 11th grade parents and students organize
and plan the senior graduation.  So we're looking for 11th grade families to
organize a:
Set up committee (working with teachers and students).  Would need to be
available on June 3rd from 4:00-5:00pm
Clean up committee.  Would need to be available on June 3rd from
8:00-9:30pm.
Food committee. We're ordering food from Juan',s Place: 1) order from
Juan',s, 2) set it up when it gets delivered, 2) serve it, 3) clean it up,
and 4) arrange for reimbursement.
Cake: 1) order a couple of large sheet cakes, service for 175 people, 2)
order it and arrange for delivery or pick up, 3) serve it, 4) clean it up,
and 5) arrange for reimbursement.
Flower decoration committee.  We're lucky to live in the Bay Area where
blooming flowers cover our sidewalks and yards.  Got some flowers in your
backyard you'd like to donate to the graduation?  We're looking for a
committee to gather those donations for graduation. 1) send out email to the
AHA community with the request, 2) arrange for pick up / drop off, 3)
organize flower vases, 4) work with set up committee on beautification.

2) End-of-Year AHA! Community Celebration and New Family Welcome - June 11,
5:00-7:00pm.  This is a new joint venture.  We are combining the traditional
new family welcome event with a new end-of-year celebration and art sale.
Come ready to buy student/parent/teacher art work, proceeds to benefit the
newly developed AHA scholarship fund (don't know what that is, then come to
the next meeting to find out) as well as student artists.  This is a big
event that needs lots of parent support, we need to organize a

Set up committee 3:30-5.

Clean up committee 7-8.  We need to be cleaned up by 8:00pm.

Food committee.  AHA! will be supplying utensils, we need to arrange for
potluck.

Outreach committee.  We need a few social butterflies to wander the event,
talk with parents (new and old), get contact information for next year, sign
up to get involved.

Phone call committee (and outreach for this event).  We need a few parents
to call all the AHA families about this event and others.  Got a phone?
Know how to use it?  Have a few hours during the evening? We need you!

Art sale committee.  Collaborate with teachers to: 1) solicit art work from
students, teachers, and parents, 2) gather art work, 3) display and hang art
work, 4) manage sale of "merchandise".

As you can see, there is much to do before school ends.  So, mark your
calendars:

Parent Meeting. May 5 from 6:00 - 8:00pm in Room A105.  Light food and drink
will be provided.

Graduation  June 3rd, 5:00 - 8:30pm. (Because of space concerns, this event
will be for senior families/friends only),
End-of-Year AHA! Community Celebration / New Family Welcome / Art Sale /
Performances. June 11 from 5:00 - 7:00pm

And remember:  sharing is caring.  Please share this information with your
AHA friends.

 If you have any questions, please feel free to contact anyone on the parent
leadership council:
 Marsha Hiller (9th grade parent) at marshahiller at comcast.net
 Alan Sanstad (9th grade parent) at alansanstad at gmail.com
 Cindy Tsai Schultz (9th grade parent) at cindystsai at gmail.com