[BHS etree] ADMIN/VOLUNTEERS: FIFTH call for help, why we need exam proctors, what they do

bhs at idiom.com bhs at idiom.com
Thu Apr 30 18:10:15 PDT 2009

Contact:  <mailto:jhuseby at pacbell.net> jhuseby at pacbell.net

The AP/IB exams are around the corner and there are STILL proctor openings.
Berkeley High is required to have one proctor for each set of 35 students.
Should we be audited during the course of an exam the results could be
invalidated should we have an undercount of proctors.  BHS offers a huge
number of exams.  It is one of the reasons Newsweek ranks Berkeley High
School in the top 5% of US public high schools. "AP and IB participation are
indicators of a school's effort to get students to excel and prepare for
college," the magazine writes.  But, we cannot offer these exams without
your help.

We are asking parents who have a child in either an AP or an IB to please
proctor another exam.  We also welcome volunteers without a child in the
exam!

Each IB exam seems to have a different stop and start time. AP Proctors
arrive either at 7:20 a.m. (morning) or 11:30 a.m.  Once the students are
checked in the exams take roughly three hours.  A smooth checking in is the
big variable.  Proctors help with the check in.  They distribute test
booklets and answer sheets, they walk up and down, they pass out pencils,
they give out bathroom passes, they collect the answer sheets and test
booklets and they legitimatize the exam.

Below are the exams for which I am still seeking proctors.

Wednesday, May 6, 7:20am  to 11:30ish

AP Calculus-need THREE (3) more

Tuesday, May 12, 7:20am  to 11:30ish

AP Chemistry -need ONE (1) more

AP Environmental Science-need TWO (2) more

Wednesday, May 13, 7:20am  to 11:30ish

AP English and Composition-need ONE (1) more

Thursday, May 14, 7:20am  to 11:30ish

AP Macroeconomics----need TWO (2) more

AP World History-need ONE (1) more

Janet Huseby