[BHS etree] BUSD: Berkeley Health: Swine Flu FAQ's

bhs at idiom.com bhs at idiom.com
Wed Apr 29 10:24:39 PDT 2009

The City of Berkeley Health Department has just provided us with this list
of Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's) about the Swine Flu. They will have a
Spanish translation available later in the day, but they did not want me to
delay sending out this information. We are fortunate to have this resource
available at the local level, and we will share whatever information as they
give it to us.

Mark Coplan, BUSD Public Information Officer
==================

City of Berkeley
Department of Health & Human Services
Public Health Division

Swine Flu:  Frequently Asked Questions

What is swine flu?
Swine flu usually occurs in pigs.  Now a new type of swine flu is causing
illness in people.

Are people in California sick with swine flu?
Yes, there are cases of swine flu in people in California, other U.S.
states, Mexico and throughout  the world.  The U.S. Centers for Disease
Control (CDC), with local and state health departments, are responding to
the situation.

Is this swine flu virus contagious?
Yes.  Swine flu is contagious and is spreading from human to human. At this
time, it not known how easily the virus spreads between people.

What are the signs and symptoms of swine flu?
The symptoms of swine flu are like the symptoms of regular flu:
.	Fever
Like seasonal flu, swine flu may worsen chronic medical conditions (such as
diabetes, heart disease, and lung disease).  So far, U.S. cases of swine flu
have generally been mild.  There have been cases of more serious swine flu
illness in Mexico.  The reason for this difference is not yet understood.

How do you catch swine flu?
Swine flu spreads from one person to another by coughing or sneezing, just
like regular seasonal flu. Sometimes people may get the flu by touching
surfaces with flu viruses on them, and then touching their eyes, mouth, or
nose without washing their hands.

When can a person spread swine flu to others?
People with swine flu can spread it to others beginning 1 day before
symptoms start and up to 7 days after becoming sick. This means that you can
spread the flu to someone else before you know you are sick, as well as
while you are sick. Children, especially younger children, may spread flu
germs for longer periods.

What can I do to protect myself and my family from getting sick?
There is no vaccine right now to protect against swine flu. You can take
these everyday steps to stay healthy:
.	Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue or sleeve when you cough or
sneeze. Throw the tissue in the trash after you use it and wash your hands.

What is the best way to wash my hands?
Washing your hands often protects you from all kinds of germs. Wash your
hands with soap and warm water for 15 to 20 seconds. Soap and water are
best.  If they are not available, alcohol-based disposable hand cleaners may
be used instead.

What should I do if I get sick?
If you are sick, you should stay away from other people as much as you can
to keep from spreading your illness.  Stay home!

When should I see a doctor?
If you become ill with flu symptoms (fever, cough, sore throat, etc.),
contact your health care provider for advice. Your health care provider will
determine whether you need to be seen.  If you do not have health insurance
or a regular doctor, you may contact your local public health department for
referral information.  In Berkeley, call 981-5300.

When should I get medical care right away?
Adults should get emergency medical care right away if they have:
.	Trouble breathing or shortness of breath
.	Severe or continuing vomiting
Children should be taken to emergency medical care right away if they
have:
.	Fast breathing or trouble breathing
.	Fever with a rash

Are there medicines to treat swine flu?
Yes. The prescription antiviral medicines oseltamivir (Tamiflu) or zanamivir
(Relenza) can be used to treat swine flu. If you get sick, these drugs can
make your illness milder and make you feel better faster. They may also
prevent serious flu complications. They work best if started soon after
getting sick (within 2 days of start of symptoms).
Is there a vaccine to protect people from swine flu?

Not yet.  The "flu shot" you may have gotten this season does not appear to
protect people from swine flu.  Effective vaccines may be developed in the
future.

How safe is it to travel?
CDC has issued an alert to avoid nonessential travel to Mexico. Travel
notices are available on the CDC Swine Flu web page at [
http://wwwn.cdc.gov/travel/ ]http://wwwn.cdc.gov/travel/.  At this time,
there are no restrictions for travel within the U.S.

Can I get swine flu from eating or preparing pork, bacon, and ham?
No. Swine flu viruses are not spread by food. You cannot get swine flu from
eating pork or pork products. Eating properly handled and cooked pork
products is safe.

For further information, please see the following websites or call the
Berkeley City Public Health Division at 510-981-5300.
City of Berkeley Health and Human Services:
http://www.ci.berkeley.ca.us/Home.aspx
California Department of Public Health:
http://www.cdph.ca.gov/HealthInfo/news/Pages/SwineFluLndingPg042409.aspx
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
http://www.cdc.gov/flu/swine/investigation.htm
World Health Organization:
http://www.who.int/csr/don/2009_04_24/en/index.html

Mark A. Coplan