[BHS etree] VOLUNTEERS: How do I thank thee? Let me count the ways....

bhs at idiom.com bhs at idiom.com
Thu Feb 5 21:06:20 PST 2009

Contact: jhuseby at pacbell.net

Dear volunteers,

Our students are surrounded by an amazing community.  On Tuesday and
Wednesday, over 800 California State Exit Exams were administered to
the sophomore class.  Vice Principal Kristin Glenchur did an amazing
job organizing the exam-answer sheets and pencils ready to go-but  it
was the wonderful volunteers that got the show on the road. A crew of
over 50  showed up over the course of the  two days  (many  at 7:15)
to check IDs, check out answer sheets, sharpen pencils, distribute
pencils, distribute test booklets,  hand out bathroom passes, check in
answer sheets, alphabetize them, and count and track test booklets.
The all-sophomore test is challenging because of the sheer numbers
involved.  But, by the second day the kids in both of the main venues
were starting the test by 8:15-45 minutes after the doors opened.
Wow!

I often say Thank you.  I often exclaim that our volunteers are the
best.   But, what I don't often communicate is how touched I am by the
support and care that surrounds and nurtures our students.  In
October, Principal Slemp said he wanted 50 volunteers to help during
the spirit rally. And, 50 (exactly) of you showed up. This January, I
put out one call for ushers for the inauguration assembly and more
than 60 of you responded.  And then earlier this week  we had the 51
volunteers  who juggled their schedules, took time off from work,  and
gave of their precious free time so our students could have a calm and
orderly atmosphere during the exit exam.   You make me proud to be
part of this community. Thank you.  You ARE the best!

Janet Huseby
BHS Volunteer Coordinator
jhuseby at pacbell.net
(510) 527-1130