[BHS etree] ATHLETICS: How to support BHS Athletics

bhs at idiom.com bhs at idiom.com
Mon Feb 2 06:55:47 PST 2009

Please do not contact the e-tree; contact:  Manish Doshi, manish_baf at comcast.net or MK Murlas, murlas at sbcglobal.net

Berkeley High Athletics has an amazing history of success and excellence. So much so that sometimes we forgot the greats that have passed through and the opportunities that we want to give our current students....and how athletics compliments BHS academics.

The Berkeley Athletic Fund (BAF) is an all volunteer, non-profit organization whose sole purpose is to raise money for and support BHS Athletics.  Each year we reach out to families with a fund raising letter and community activities.  We need to raise over $40,000 to keep our program as strong as it is with 28 varsity sports, over 50 teams and more than 1,1000 student athletes.

This year you can help us by supporting BHS Live! 2009 on March 8th and our 2nd Annual Golf Tournament on Friday, May 2nd.

BHS Live! 2009 is a joint effort with the BHS Development Group.  Berkeley Honda is supporting us by hosting the event in their showroom on Sunday, March 8th, 5:30 - 8:00.  We'll have a live and silent auction, food, drinks and a BHS Jazz Combo.  We are lucky to have Josh Kornbluth, Monologist and BUSD parent to entertain us.  You can buy tickets at www.BrownPaperTickets.com, search for BHS Live.  Tickets $25-$75.  You can get all the details at www.BerkeleyAthleticFund.org or contact MK Murlas, murlas at sbcglobal.net

The Second Annual BHS Golf Classic is being held on Friday, May 1st at Tilden Park.  It is a 4 person Scramble  with team prizes (1-5), picnic, raffle, silent auction and lots of fun.  Our goal is 120 golfers and last year we were just short.  If Albany High School can sell out their golf tournament then BHS should be able to as well, right?  You can get the entry form at www.BerkeleyAthleticFund.org or contact Manish Doshi, manish_baf at comcast.net.

If you are still reading this, check out our former BHS greats that have been inducted into the BHS Athletic Hall of Fame.  From Jack LaLanne to John Lambert to Phillip Chenier.  On the BAF website, click on Hall of Fame on the left hand column.

Our recent BHS graduates are rocking the college world right now.  Here is BHS 2008 graduate Jazmine Perkins at Washington State University:

PULLMAN, Wash. - Led by freshman Jazmine Perkins' first career double double, the Washington State women's basketball team knocked off Arizona 68-58 Saturday at Friel Court. WSU improved to 9-11 on the season and 2-7 in the Pacific-10 Conference, while the Wildcats dropped to 8-12 overall and 1-8 in the Pac-10.

Perkins scored a team-high 17 points and pulled down a team- and career-high 10 rebounds. She also recorded three assists and a steal.

http://wsucougars.cstv.com/sports/w-baskbl/recaps/013109aaa.html