[BHS etree] BUSD: Senator Loni Hancock's Call to Action

bhs at idiom.com bhs at idiom.com
Mon Jan 12 06:49:27 PST 2009

PLEASE DO NOT REPLY to the etree, contact Mark Coplan
[mailto:Mark_Coplan at berkeley.k12.ca.us]

Senator Loni Hancock asked me to share these two messages from her
regarding the state budget. The Superintendent will be briefed in
greater detail by Sacramento in the days ahead, so we will have a
clearer picture. Meanwhile, there are not enough voices being heard in
Sacramento right now, and while letter writing campaigns are being
developed by State and Peralta District PTA and others, we need to
speak out.

This New Year will better, because we all work together,

Mark Coplan, BUSD Public Information Officer
======================

Senator Hancock's Message:

Dear Constituent:

Last night the Governor vetoed the Democrat's budget package.  I am
deeply disappointed.  I appreciate all the feedback I received on the
email letter I sent out yesterday (see below).  The Democrat's plan
would have solved 44% of the projected shortfall and averted a cash
crisis.  It's now up to the Governor to demonstrate that he can put
together the 2/3rds vote necessary to pass a budget that provides
enough revenue - without more borrowing - to meet the obligations of
the state.

If you wish to take a few moments to contact the Governor's office to
leave a voicemail stating your opinion, the number is (916) 445-2841.

Thank you again for your support and feedback.  Please feel free to
call my office at (916) 651-4009 with questions or suggestions.

Sincerely,

Loni Hancock

=========================
First Letter:

January 7, 2009
Dear Constituent:

We begin the New Year with the real possibility of the financial
collapse of our State government in February.  As your State Senator,
I want to share with you how I see our precarious situation, and what
I believe must happen if we are to salvage the promise of California.

Two Defining Facts

1)      The 2/3rds Vote

California requires a 2/3rds vote to pass a state budget. This is not
how a democracy normally functions. California is one of only three
states with this 2/3rds vote requirement. Forty-seven other states,
the United States Congress, and every city, county and school district
in California pass budgets with a simple majority vote.
The 2/3rds vote requirement has proved fatally dysfunctional for
California, making it impossible in recent years to pass budgets on
time or with transparency and accountability.

2)   "The Pledge"

Every Republican Legislator, except one, has signed a pledge promising
never, under any circumstances, to raise taxes for the things
government provides - schools, roads, parks, clean air and water, fire
and police protection. Their pledge is not to their constituents, but
to Grover Norquist, the founder of the Washington, D.C. based
conservative organization called Americans for Tax Reform.

Grover Norquist is the Republican lobbyist who is famous for saying,
"I don't want to abolish government.  I simply want to reduce it to
the size where I can drag it into the bathroom and drown it in the
bathtub."  It is ironic that even though right-wing policies to
deregulate, privatize, and cut taxes have been discredited at the
national level and repudiated by the American people, Grover Norquist
is poised to achieve his goal in California.

The Democrat's Solution

The 2/3rds vote requirement and "The Pledge" held the Democratic
majority in the State Legislature hostage for my entire term in the
State Assembly.
Year after year we have negotiated against ourselves about what to
give up and give away to get enough Republican votes to reach 2/3rds.
Year after year, budgets were late.  In the end they were primarily
based on cuts, accounting gimmicks and borrowing.

Now the gimmicks are used up, the national economy is in free fall and
we can't borrow anymore.  No one will buy California's bonds.  In a
fragile national and global economy, and with the 2/3rds vote
requirement, investors say they do not believe we have a realistic way
to repay the money.

Republicans continue to demand a cuts-only budget.  Their proposed
budget, released just before the holidays, proposed cutting  another
$10 billion out of education, making deep cuts to our already tattered
safety net for families in need, and wiping out funds for public
transportation.

The $18 Billion Solution

Both the Governor and the Legislature rejected the Republican proposal
as posturing, while the Democratic majority presented the Governor
with an ethical and rational solution to wipe out $18 billion of the
$41 billion deficit. The Democratic package raises revenue by
eliminating the gas tax, replacing it with other taxes that will not
hurt the finances of the average working family in California (the
State Constitution allows taxes to be raised by a simple majority if
the result is 'revenue neutral') and puts in place a Highway Users Fee
on gasoline that can be used only for transportation infrastructure.

It works.  It keeps California solvent as we address the remaining $23
billion shortfall and negotiate a budget for next year.  Our mid-year
solution takes $2 billion from education, not the $10 billion in cuts
proposed by the Republicans.  The cuts made are devastating - but the
school doors stay open and California lives to fight another day.

Where is the Governor?

Governor Schwarzenegger recognizes that taxes must be raised or the
state will collapse. He has called for tax increases, many of which
Democrats would support - including an oil production tax (of the 22
oil producing states in the United States, only California does not
have a tax on oil production of any sort) and a sales tax expansion to
cover some services.
However, he has been unable to get a single vote from Republican
legislators, and was denounced by the California Republican Party for
recognizing the need for increased revenue if the state is to survive.

Now the Governor refuses to sign the $18 billion solution crafted by
the Democrats. Instead he demands concessions on labor and
environmental regulations and additional cuts in grants to the poorest
people in California.

We Need 3 Changes in the Budget Process

California must adopt a simple majority to pass the state budget.  Let
the majority party negotiate a budget and be held accountable for that
budget, like the U.S. Congress and all local governments.

California should adopt a two-year budget.  The second year of the
budget cycle should be devoted to program oversight and any needed
adjustments.
Lastly, when the budget is adopted it should contain five and ten year
projections of expenses and income, so advanced planning can be done
realistically.

Time for Action

The Governor needs to sign the $18 billion solution. His other demands
for concessions can be discussed and negotiated as we move forward to
solve the $23 billion shortfall we face in June. If you wish to take a
few moments to contact the Governor's office to leave a voicemail
stating your opinion, the number is 916-445-2841.

As always, I am so grateful to represent you and this district.  I am
determined to do whatever I can to maintain our state, and our Bay
Area, as a beacon of hope, innovation and opportunity. I can be
reached at 916-651-4009, and would like to know your suggestions and
ideas.

Warm regards,

Loni Hancock

Mark A. Coplan