[BHS etree] EVENTS: Black Student Union Celebration Week - Dec. 15-19

bhs at idiom.com bhs at idiom.com
Sat Dec 13 08:16:07 PST 2008

Contact: BHS Black Student Union [mailto:BerkeleyHighBSU at yahoo.com]

>From teacher Paul Griffith:
The Black Student Union has been working tirelessly to make their week
of events a success and want to share what they are doing with you.

The Black Student Union is proud to present its 40th Anniversary
Richard D. Naives Week Celebration December 15th -19th, 2008. The
African American Studies Department at Berkeley High school was
founded in 1968 through the resilience and steadfastness of African
American students who demanded to have a more culturally relevant
education. Dr.  Richard D. Naives served as chair of the African
American Studies Department for 20 years, beginning in 1970, until his
untimely death in 1990. He is credited as the moving spirit of the
department. During this week we celebrate his legacy, and the honor of
being the first and only public high school in the nation that has an
African American Studies Department.  This year will be the
department's 40th anniversary and our focus is 40 years of making
change.

During the week we will be showcasing the talents of students in our
department, holding a toy drive for children in need during the
holidays, a community forum and fund raising for future events. This
week is import ant to our growth as students as it gives us the
opportunity to celebrate our history and add new chapters to it. Below
is a schedule of the week's events.

 ****During the week, raffle tickets and tickets for Friday's potluck
will be sold in H214. We are looking forward to making this year's
Richard D. Naives Week the best one yet.

Monday, December 15:  Introduction Assembly. A Journey Through Time:

Celebrating the Rich Legacy of African American Peoples. The assembly
will be held 1st through 3rd periods in the Berkeley High Community
Theater. The show will consist of a series of acts, performed by
students, which will showcase important periods in Black History. The
show will include: Musical Acts, Poetry, and famous Speeches....there
may even be an appearance by our most recent president elect BARACK
OBAMA!!!!!  This assembly is open to the entire school.

Tuesday, December 16: Hip-Hop vs. America:

The Realities Facing Black Youth Today.  In this dynamic and
controversial event six panelists, including teachers, students and
community members, will debate and discuss such issues as teen sex and
exploitation in hip hop culture, hip hop's impact on education and the
rise of HIV and Sexually Transmitted Infections in the African
American community. The event will be held 1st through 3rd periods in
the Little Theater and is accessible by permission slip only.

Wednesday, December 17: Divine 9 Day

A panel of the 9  historically black Fraternities and Sororities will
discuss their college experiences, what it means to be a black student
on a college campus, and demystify  what it means to be a black Greek
at a major university. They will also be available for a question &
answer session following the presentations.
This event gives students the opportunity to  gain insight into the
"college world".  The event will be held 4th through 6th periods in
the Little Theater.  Admission by permission slip only.

Thursday, December 18: Breaking the Chains of the New Generation:

An African-Haitian Dance Experience. Our annual dance showcase
promises to be a sensation this year. Come and support the talents of
Berkeley High School students as they take you on a journey through
time through song and traditional African dance.
Time: 7 pm.
Location : Community Theater
Ticket Price: $10 reserved, $7 general, $5 student, $3 Senior/child
***Tickets can be purchased at www.brownpapertickets.com or through
Mama Naomi Washington

Friday, December 19: It's a Kwanzaa Affair:

Celebrating the Spirit of Community and Family. The weeks events
conclude with a community potluck of food, fun, and a reading of
Kwanzaa's 7 principles.  In order to be admitted, one must bring a
dish to share or pay a small fee of $3.  The potluck will be held 4th
through 6th periods in the Food Court.  Admission also requires
permission slip.

Please contact us by Email: BerkeleyHighBSU at yahoo.com