[BHS etree] PTSA: Budget Alert From California State PTA

bhs at idiom.com bhs at idiom.com
Fri Dec 5 15:53:34 PST 2008

Below is a budget Information Alert from the
California State PTA.  The Governor will be
submitting his revised budget proposal by January
15, 2009.  The latest impact we've heard for
Berkeley's schools is $3.5 million (ranging
between $3 million and $6 million).  We'll keep
you posted.

Mark van Krieken
BHS PTSA President

California State PTA
Informational Alert
December 5, 2008

Tough Times for Our Schools and Our Children
As a new legislative session begins this week, we
are increasing our efforts to demand that our
legislators act responsibly to reach a solution
that does not make further devastating cuts to
education and children's programs.  The stakes
could not be higher.

Legislators and the governor must work to address
the state’s budget shortfall, which is projected
to grow to $27 billion or more over the next 19
months.
<http://www.lao.ca.gov/2008/bud/nov_revise/nov_revise_overview_111108.pdf>Legislative
Analyst's Report
<http://www.lao.ca.gov/2008/bud/nov_revise/nov_revise_overview_111108.pdf>http://www.lao.ca.gov/2008/bud/nov_revise/nov_revise_overview_111108.pdf

Proposed cuts would have a catastrophic effect

California's total school funding could be cut by
$8 billion in 2008-09 if lawmakers don't vote for
new revenues. For kindergarten through high
school schools alone this would mean a cut of
$7.2 billion.

These cuts are equivalent to:

Shutting down every school across the state for 25 days,
Increasing class sizes statewide by more than 50 percent,
Reducing per-student spending by almost $1,200,
Laying off 160,000 classroom teachers or 180,000
bus drivers, custodians, food service workers,
maintenance workers, and other education support
professionals,
Cutting more than $31,500 per classroom,
Cutting $12.4 million per school district
(assuming 10,000 students in the school) or
eliminating all music, art and career technical
education

<http://www.protectourstudents.org/category/press-releases/>Education
Coalition Press Briefing
<http://www.protectourstudents.org/category/press-releases/>http://www.protectourstudents.org/category/press-releases/

Our state already has some of the most
overcrowded classrooms and the greatest shortages
of librarians, counselors and other critical
support staff in the nation. Even before this
year’s most recent, devastating budget cuts,
California already ranked 46th out of 50 states
in per pupil funding, according to Education Week.

And many of these cuts would come in the middle
of the school year when local school budgets have
already been set.

Upcoming Activities

PTA members across the state must get ready to
raise your voices again! Thanks to your efforts,
we were able to raise awareness about the impact
of devastating cuts, and prevent even more
harmful funding reductions last year. But the
worsening budget situation will require even more
effort this coming year. It’s very tough, given
the state’s economic condition, but it would be
shortsighted and even more harmful for
legislators to undermine future generations by
failing to enact responsible revenue increases.

Next week, PTA leaders will participate with
Education Coalition partners in a series of media
events in cities throughout the state. Your
volunteer advocates in Sacramento will also be
meeting with legislators. In the coming weeks, we
will continue emailing you alerts asking you to
take specific actions such as contacting your
local legislators or participating in local
events.

Key Points to Communicate

It’s important that we speak with a unified voice
on behalf of all children. Some of the key points
to communicate:

Further cuts will have catastrophic consequences
for California’s schools, and students.

The time to raise revenues and invest in California’s future is now.

It is beyond reckless to make billions more in
cuts to schools in the middle of the school year.
 We shouldn’t turn back the clock on California’s
students because of a budget mess they didn’t
create.

Our schools need stable, on-going revenues to
ensure that students have the resources they need
to succeed.

Providing flexibility without adequate funding
raises false hope that schools can do more with
even fewer resources, while the real crisis
facing our students is potentially billions more
in cuts to classrooms.

Our elected leaders need to be reminded of what
hard-working Californians already know:
devastating cuts to public education are
undermining our state's future. That’s why
parents, teachers and other educators across
California are united against further mid-year
budget cuts.

California already spends $1,900 less per student
than the national average. The “Getting Down to
Facts” studies from Stanford University show that
California seriously underfunds its public
schools and would need to spend 40 percent more
to ensure that all students meet the state’s
rigorous academic standards. The studies also
show that other states like New York spend 75
percent more on students than California.

California business leaders say the best way to
improve our economy is to make sure we have a
well-educated work force. The governor and
lawmakers must make California’s students a top
priority.  Refusing to support solutions to raise
revenues for schools shortchanges our students
and California’s future.

Update on Recent Events and Activities in Sacramento.

New legislators sworn in

Earlier this week the State Senate and Assembly
swore in members for the 2009-10 legislative
session. There are 12 new senators – all of whom
previously served in the Assembly.  Of the 31 new
Assembly members, three previously served in the
Senate and 25 have no previous legislative
experience.

The senate also has a new leader: Darrel
Steinberg (D-Sacramento) officially became Senate
President Pro Tempore. He now joins Senate
Republican Leader Dave Cogdill (R–Fresno),
Assembly Speaker Karen Bass (D–Los Angeles), and
Assembly Republican Leader Mike Villines
(R-Clovis) among the legislative leaders.

Governor calls for another special session

Soon after the swearing in, Governor
Schwarzenegger called for a new special session
of the legislature to address the budget.  In a
press conference, the Governor told legislators
to get out of their “ideological sandboxes” and
make decisions based on the “common good.”

During the special session called in November,
legislators were unable to reach a solution. On
November 25, proposals to raise $8.1 billion in
new revenues and enact $8.1 billion in cuts
failed to pass in the legislature. More than $4
billion in additional cuts to education were
proposed, but did not become law because revenue
increase proposals failed.

<http://www.dof.ca.gov/documents/special_session_08-09_web.pdf>Governor's
Budget Special Session
<http://www.dof.ca.gov/documents/special_session_08-09_web.pdf>http://www.dof.ca.gov/documents/special_session_08-09_web.pdf