[BHS etree] PTSA: We Need You! Deadline Extended For Candidates' Statements

bhs at idiom.com bhs at idiom.com
Fri Sep 5 01:36:20 PDT 2008

Due to a shortage of candidates, the deadline for submitting Candidate's Statements has been extended until tonight, Friday evening, September 5th.  So far I have received three statements for each the School Governance Council (SGC) and the Berkeley Schools Excellence Project (BSEP) committee, with two or three additional people considering each one.  We ultimately need four parent members and two alternates for each one.

I beg you, if you have a heart (or a soul), we absolutely need you!  Not only will you be doing something that will change the lives of Berkeley High's students, you'll be changing your own lives as well.  The joy and sense of fulfilling you'll feel from participating in these committees may well cause you to change the course of your career and set you off into a life of public service.  If not, at the very least you'll know you will be invited to the Parent Volunteer Brunch at the end of the year and that you fully deserve that jelly roll and coffee.

The committees' purposes are:

  a.. School Governance Council (SGC) - The SGC decides questions of school policy.  From a policy standpoint, this is the most powerful committee at Berkeley High.  During the past year, the committee dealt with the issues of advisory periods and block schedules.
  b.. Berkeley Schools Excellence Project (BSEP) - The BSEP committee determines how the school will spend its enrichment money.  In light of the Governor's recent cuts to education, this committee's decisions become even more important.
For more information about the specifics of what is involved with each committee, please feel free to contact either current SGC member, Susan Helmrich at shelmrich at aol.com or Allen King, co-chair of the BHS BSEP committee at allenk at mindspring.com.  Statements should be limited to 200 words or less and submitted to PTSA president, Mark van Krieken at markvk4 at comcast.net.  Please remember to include what small school or program your child attends.  Statements will be posted sometime Saturday morning.

Parents and guardians can also nominate themselves at the PTSA meeting and run as write-in candidates.  A Candidates' Statement is not required to run, but it is needed if candidates want their names included on the printed ballots.  All candidates need to be prepared to give a 1 ½ minute speech at the PTSA meeting.  The PTSA meeting will be held on Tuesday, September 9th at 7 PM in the Little Theater.

We encourage as many people as possible to get involved in the decision-making process at BHS.  The more opinions, the more educated and well-thought out the final decisions should be.  Thanks for thinking about volunteering and we look forward to seeing you at the meeting!

Sincerely,

Mark van Krieken

BHS PTSA President