[BHS etree] PTSA: BSEP & SGC Candidates Urgently Needed!

bhs at idiom.com bhs at idiom.com
Fri Aug 29 16:49:45 PDT 2008

PLEASE DO NOT REPLY to the etree, contact Mark van Krieken  (
<mailto:markvk4 at comcast.net> markvk4 at comcast.net )

Welcome to all our new incoming families and welcome back to all our
returning families!  We hope everyone had a great summer and is ready
for a great year at BHS.  For the first time ever, all students at
Berkeley High are a part of six distinct small schools & programs.  We
also hope everyone is surviving the first few days of school as such
issues as class assignments, class size and other details get sorted
out.  But outside of a few paperwork issues, we hope you are all
transitioning nicely back into school mode.

There are two important issues for everyone to be aware of:

1)  The First PTSA Meeting of the Year will take place on Tuesday,
September 9th from 7 to 9 PM in The Little Theater.  There will be a
lot of information on the upcoming year given out.  As well as the
elections for the School Governance Council (SGC), the BSEP committee
and the PTSA board and a question and answer session with principal
Jim Slemp, this meeting is also absolutely the best way to get caught
up on what is happening with the PTSA, SGC, block scheduling,
advisories, teacher contract negotiations, the State Education Budget
and everything else going on at Berkeley High.  We hope to see you
there!

2) We Very Much Need Candidates for the BSEP and SGC Committees!  Due
to a blunder on my part, the following information on the School
Governance Council (SGC) and the Berkeley Schools Excellence Project
(BSEP), and how to volunteer for them, fell between the cracks in
preparing the Summer Newsletter.  I sincerely apologize.  We
absolutely need people to volunteer for these very important
committees.   The School Governance Council, the BSEP committee and
the PTSA all make important decisions and work on projects that
positively impact our students' high school experience.  I encourage
as many of you as possible to get involved with these committees --
it's a great experience on many levels.  In a nutshell:

The SGC deals with many programmatic issues that have a definite
impact on the academic program at Berkeley High.

The BSEP Committee determines the use of a large amount of money that
can be used in a variety of ways to support our teachers and students.

The elections for the coming school year for electing parent
representatives to the School Site Council (SSC) and for the Berkeley
Schools Excellence Project Committee (BSEP) will be held on Tuesday,
September 9th at the first PTSA meeting of the new school year.  These
organizations need parents and guardians who represent the entire
spectrum of the Berkeley High School community.  All current and
incoming BHS parents and guardians are eligible to serve and to vote!
The time to declare your candidacy is now!

If you would like to run for SGC, BSEP (or PTSA), please email a brief
personal statement (no more than 200 words) to PTSA President, Mark
van Krieken, at  <mailto:markvk4 at comcast.net> markvk4 at comcast.net by
next Thursday, September 4th.  Explain what office you are running for
and why you are interested in serving in this position.  Please
include your phone number and address so that the PTSA can contact you
-- this information will not be made public.  Alternatively, you may
mail or hand-deliver your statement to BHS PTSA, 1980 Allston Way,
Berkeley, CA 94704, Attn: Elections.  If you would like to run for
SGC, please also include your neighborhood category (if known) and the
program(s) or school(s) at Berkeley High in which your child or
children are enrolled.

All names submitted for election by September 5th will be published on
the BHS etree the following week and posted along with the candidates'
statements on the PTSA website on that date or as soon thereafter as
possible.  Names and statements will also be printed and distributed
at the September 9th meeting.  All names submitted in advance will
appear on the printed ballot for elections.  Individuals may also run
as write-in candidates by attending the meeting on September 9th and
declaring their candidacy.

For more information, visit the PTSA website: <bhs.berkeleypta.org> or
contact Mark van Krieken, PTSA President at
<mailto:markvk4 at comcast.net> markvk4 at comcast.net.

Best wishes for a great start to the schoolyear,

Mark van Krieken (BHS PTSA President) & Allen King (BSEP Chair)