[BHS etree] ADMIN: First week of school

bhs at idiom.com bhs at idiom.com
Tue Aug 26 07:14:45 PDT 2008

Contact: jhuseby at pacbell.net

Everyone at Berkeley High is geared up and excited for the first day
of school. Our wonderful custodians have spent the summer cleaning and
polishing. The school looks beautiful. Belinda McDaniel and Ruby
Taylor at the front desk have been welcoming and registering students
for weeks. The teachers had their first staff development day  on
Monday and are putting their rooms in order today (Tuesday).  A new
year is a wonderful time.  We look forward to seeing your children!

1. Lost Schedules. Tomorrow, Wednesday, August 27, the first day of
school, we hope to have six volunteers in the food court handing out
schedules to students who have lost theirs or have not yet picked
theirs up.  (so far, one volunteer has offered to be there, we could
use more!)

2.  Schedule changes. Many students have noticed mistakes in their
schedules.  Students have until Friday, August 29 to turn in a
schedule change form. Please make sure your student turns in this form
by Friday as change requests will not be honored after that.
Meanwhile, students should follow the incorrect schedule on the first
day of school. Our counselors will be sending out changes via
volunteer runners. The runners (and yes, we need volunteers!) find the
students by following the incorrect schedule. It is not perfect but
the teachers are aware that there is some shuffling at the beginning
of the year and accommodate students who are moved both in and out.

3. Counselors.  We have many new counselors. I will post a complete
list soon.  However, if your child does not know his or her
counselor's name right now, it is okay as the counselors are NOT
making appointments.  Or rather, the WAY a student makes an
appointment is by filling out a change request form.  If the change is
straightforward the counselor can make it without talking to a
student.  If the change requires a conversation, the counselor will
send for the student-via volunteer runners (and yes, we need
volunteers!).

4. Census.  Every year about 200 students are "no shows." A student
will be dropped from the books after 10 days of not showing.  Every
day we run a second period census (from 9:30 to 10:30.)  We need
runners to help with this endeavor.

Janet Huseby
BHS Volunteer Coordinator
jhuseby at pacbell.net