[BHS etree] ADMIN: MAILING ON ITS WAY/information re and thank you to volunteers

bhs at idiom.com bhs at idiom.com
Fri Jul 25 17:11:51 PDT 2008

contact: jhuseby at pacbell.net

The summer mailing was hauled to the post office Thursday afternoon (July
24).  The packages are being sent standard mail (formerly known as bulk).
That means that you could receive your child's package anywhere from two
days to three weeks from now.  If you have not received a package by August
14, please come to the office to 1) check to make sure your address is
correct and 2) pick up a package. Below are some important facts about the
mailing.

1. The first piece of paper in the package is a letter from Mr. Slemp with a
list of items included in the mailing.  The list is slightly different from
what is ACTUALLY included in the mailing.  You should receive 17 items.
They are: Mr. Slemp's letter, Back-to-School information, Emergency Card,
bell schedule, map of school, health center letter, athletic information,
newsletter, school picture forms, student directory release form,
Development Fund information, Escrip flyer, Writing Coach information,
School Calendar and etree information (double sided), Jacket subscription
form, flyer for community meeting re south of campus construction, PTSA
membership envelope.

2. In addition, many of you will receive information on Edline and your
password to access your child's grades and attendance online.  Edline was
started last year and promises to revolutionize school to parent
communication.  Read these yellow sheets with care and take advantage of
this great service.

3. Please note: We did NOT include an application for Free and Reduced
lunch--despite the fact that the Back-to-School paper says that one is
included. This year, for the first time, the district Nutrition Services is
NOT sending home applications to families.  A food service representative
will be available during registration (August 19-22) to process
applications.

4. The Jacket subscription rate included in the Newsletter is incorrect.
The correct rates are found on the subscription form in the Packet.

5. Some people will receive two packets: one with a preprinted label and one
with a handwritten envelope. It's a long story, but open both as one may
have the Edline information and the other not.

6. Finally, a great, enthusiastic Thank You! to the 62 volunteers who showed
up Wednesday, the 25 who came Thursday morning, and the 12 who showed up
Thursday afternoon after the last bag was filled and the three more who
called in that afternoon willing to rearrange their lives should I need
them.  By my math that is 107 people. That's A LOT of volunteers for the
middle of summer on two beautiful summer days.  We had Berkeley High
parents, students and grandparents.  We had community members. We had big
brothers and little sisters.  We had a wonderful group of sharp, clever
volunteers who often were many steps ahead of me figuring out how to run an
efficient operation. Thank you one and all.

7. It is my custom to list the names of our summer volunteers. As always,
please forgive me for misspellings and any omissions-I am working from the
sign in sheets!  But an omission does not indicate a lack of gratitude.
Thank you to: Leah Abramson, Nina Abramson, Mary-Ellis Adams, Annie Alcott,
Lexine Alpert, Caroline Aszklar, Rona Bar-Din, Gloria Beck, Leora Benioff,
Melissa Bloom, Emily Blossom, Tina Bostic, Gretchen Brandt, Shawna Hartman
Brotsky, Patty Brunn, Diedre A. Burke, Gloria Yim Burke, Bernice Carpenter,
Theresa Cerney, Catherine Cheyette, Adriene Clark, Eddie Clark, (and another
Clark who must not have signed in!), Karen Claxton, Lori Colombo, Camille
Cummings, Nicole Davis, Kathy Dervin, Pamela Doolan, Kellie Edwards,
Victoria Elliott, Jenny Ettinger, Dominique Flaker, Maria Floriano, Karen
Frey, Debbi Green, Paul Goettlich, Ruth Gorrin, Kari Gutierrez, Pam
Haenke-Clark, Christine Hammond, Paci Hammond, Nick Hart, Pam Hawk, Martin
Held, Susan Helmrich, Eve Hershcopf, Mary Jacobs, Muffy Kibbey, Holly King,
Brittany Lai, Fun Ching Lee, Sukey Lilienthal, Debbie Lloyd, Dana Locke,
JoAnne Lyman, Ousm and A Macalou, Judith Maguire, Jill McCoy, Mary McDonald,
Roz Mena, Michele Merrill, Warren Middleton, Kimberly Mitchell, Lissa Mjaw,
Carla de Morais, Doria Mueller Beilschmidt, Sachiko Nagai-Kobori, Tonari
Osain, Diana Ortiz-Rodriguez, Josephine  O'Shaughnesse, Annie Priestley,
Fatima R-O, Pamela R-O, Sandra Seidlitz, Laurie Senauke, Alex Scott, Rachel
Silverman, Heino(Ashik?) Staud (I am sorry, this name I really couldn't
decipher), Laura Stock, Karin Soe-Lai, Peggy Tavare, Elizabeth Tolero, Anita
Wallace, Andrew Wilde-Price, Janet Voorhees, Erika Wodinsky.