[BHS etree] MISC: Guest speakers needed for BHS Life Academy

bhs at idiom.com bhs at idiom.com
Tue Jul 15 09:28:53 PDT 2008

Do not reply to etree, contact: Alan Miller [mailto:amiller at berkeley.k12.ca.us]

Berkeley High English teacher Alan Miller writes....
Next year I am teaching in the Life Academy. This program works with the
most at-risk students in the school. The Academy is a more sheltered
environment which offers a small group of incoming 9th graders cored (back
to back) classes with two primary teachers; I will do the English and
History/Social Sciences next year; Amit Singh will teach the Math and
Science classes.  The classes are mostly students of color and mostly,
though not entirely, male.

When I first started teaching freshmen here nearly 18 years ago, I would
bring in guest speakers.  Next year, I would love to have guests speak to
these students as much as possible, even on an every other week basis.  The
best guests performed interesting jobs--morticians, firefighters, union
leaders, doctors, sanitation workers--but anyone who loves or HATES their
work was good.

If you are interested in being a guest speaker, please contact me at:
mailto:alan_miller at berkeley.k12.ca.us