[BHS etree] PTSA: Last Call -- We Need Bus Riders To Protest In Sacramento!

bhs at idiom.com bhs at idiom.com
Tue Apr 8 15:02:11 PDT 2008

Do not reply to etree, contact Mark van Krieken mailto:markvk4 at comcast.net

Berkeley High has more than 5,000 parents and
guardians, but only 5 BHS parents have
volunteered to go to Sacramento on April 24th to
protest the Governor's proposed $4.8 billion in
cuts to education.  We realize what a huge
inconvenience it can be for both parents with
jobs and without jobs to make time for this sort
of event, but we need more people to come.  As we
have mentioned before, everything we have heard
from all the officials we've spoken with, both
here in Berkeley and in Sacramento, indicate that
these cuts will happen if we don't become very
active in protesting them.  It'll be fun!  It'll
be exciting!  AND-- it will be productive!
Please get involved with the steps that the
District and the PTA put forth to try and ensure
that our children's education doesn't get
compromised.  We very much need your support and
involvement.

The California State PTA rally is on Thursday,
April 24th in Sacramento.  The day has been set
up so that parents can drop their children off
for school, catch one of the buses by 9:30, be
there for the start of the rally at 11:15,
followed by visits to legislators, and be back in
Berkeley in time for everyone to pick up their
kids (you may still want to have a backup plan –
just in case).  The District will order the buses
for us (the ordering date has been pushed back a
week), but we need to know how many are needed by
this Friday morning.  If you think you may be
able to join us, please respond to BHS PTSA
President, Mark van Krieken ASAP at
<mailto:markvk4 at comcast.net>markvk4 at comcast.net.
More details of the day will be posted as they
become available.  We hope you can join us!

Sincerely,
Mark van Krieken
BHS PTSA President