[BHS etree] PTSA: Everyone Needed At Tuesday's PTSA Meeting

bhs at idiom.com bhs at idiom.com
Mon Mar 24 06:39:32 PDT 2008

PLEASE DO NOT REPLY to the etree, contact Mark van Krieken
[mailto:markvk4 at comcast.net]

Just a last reminder that we need every concerned parent and guardian
to come to Tuesday night's PTSA meeting on the governor's proposed
$4.8 billion cut to education.  It's a major issue and it will be
extremely important to have a good turnout.  The group that we get on
Tuesday will likely be the people that we can most count on in the
future for writing more letters, going to Sacramento, getting involved
with any potential ballot efforts and communicating with friends
around the state for expanding lobbying efforts.  The meeting will be
held in the Little Theater at 7:30 PM.  We absolutely need your
involvement!

I just quickly wanted to update you as to where we are at for Tuesday.
As of now, the likely list of speakers includes:

* Cathryn Bruno (head of the Berkeley PTSA Council),
* Mark Coplan (from BUSD admin.),
* Cathy Campbell (head of the BFT),
* Loni Hancock (our representative to the state assembly),
* Karen Hemphill (BUSD School Board Member),
* and hopefully a representative from either the state PTA or the
Peralta District PTA.

Conversations are also being held with the California School Board
Association (CSBA), the Education Coalition in Sacramento and several
other legislators' offices and we will hopefully have some good
information to report from them.  As well as the speakers, we will
also set up tables for parents to sign pre-made letters ready for
signing and mailing to all the relevant politicians, and we will
discuss the likelihood and logistics of attempting to put an
initiative on the November ballot changing the state budget process
from a two-thirds vote to a simple majority.  It should be a very
informative and productive evening.  We look forward to seeing you
there!

Sincerely,

Mark van Krieken
BHS PTSA President